weird terrain issue

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/weird terrain issue

stayne(Posted 2006) [#1]
This issue seems to start around halfway between the terrain's center and 0,0. When look in the vicinity of the 0,0 corner there are some weird flashes of light. The light doesn't seem to affect the terrain and I cannot see the terrain's texture, but I can still see the color of the texture. If that corner is out of view the issue is gone. I hope that makes sense. Has anyone ever experienced this?

kevin8084(Posted 2006) [#2]
I've experienced it. To me, it looks like a few vertices go full bright for a split second...pinpoints of light...never when looked at directly, though.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#3]
The flash of light I'm referring to is the terrain being lit in that odd way. I can maintain that light as long as that corner is in my camera's vision. When that area is out of view, everything is back to normal. I'll try to make a video tonight.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fog's max range going past the terrain. Shouldn't?

kevin8084(Posted 2006) [#4]
I wouldn't think so because the virtual world doesn't stop at the edge of the terrain. If the fog's max range can't be used when close to the edge of your terrain, then that means your player's range is severely limited - worse than useless.

kevin8084(Posted 2006) [#5]
After some thought I realized that I DID have a similar problem with my terrain. What was causing this is that I had set my terrain's shininess level to 1. My terrain, in this case, was a mesh.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#6]
This is a standard Blitz terrain. I'll get a video up soon, I've been plugging at the editor and ignoring the engine for a few days.