PickedEntity seems not constant, help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/PickedEntity seems not constant, help

Osoko(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi there, i use pickedEntity with CameraPick for loading somes objets in the scene on mouse clic. I use transparents cube and PickedEntity retrieve a number which i use to determine which object is picked.
My problem is that this number change if i change the computer, i could have for example 23270744 in one computer and 36480223 in the other, so taht the program don't work.
What the good methode for me, is it possible to get the name of the picked object ?
Thank's

b32(Posted 2006) [#2]
It is very common that these numbers are different.
How were the objects created ? When they are loaded/created, the instruction that loads/creates returns this number (handle) of the created object:
x = CreateCube()
print x

Osoko(Posted 2006) [#3]
The object is made in 3D apps, which is more practice for positioning, then exported in direct X, then load in the scene with alpha set to transparent.
If it's common that these numbers are different, what methode should i use to determine which object is picked ?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#4]
Try this Fast Entity Find code.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#5]
If you don't need to know anything other than the objects name then there is no need to store a type handle there, simply store the name of the object type ..

Somethig like ...

global Building = Loadmesh("Building.B3d" ) : nameentity Building, "Building"

Camerapick ( Camera, mousex(), mousey() )
If PickedEntity() > 0
Type_Of_Entity_Selected$ = EntityName( PickedEntity() )
Endif

Stevie

Osoko(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thank's stevie, your code works perfectly and is very simple.
Thank's a lot

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#7]
this also works:
global Building = Loadmesh("Building.B3d" )

Camerapick ( Camera, mousex(), mousey() )
If PickedEntity() =building
runtimeerror "you picked the building"
Endif

just in case you didnt know...