debug enabled executable errors

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/debug enabled executable errors

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#1]
If I make an executable with debug enabled activated, am I going to receive which type of error is happening when running the program(exe) like in the IDE, or only a memory access violation message?
I say that because I can run my project in the IDE without any errors but when I make an exe I get a memory access violation error, and the data,dlls,paths etc are the same in both cases and in the correct places.(the error appears just when all data is loaded (many) and the game is ready to start the main loop, I mean just in final stage before main loop).
Sorry for my poor english..

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#2]
It depends on what's causing the error. Most of the time, a debug build will give you more information about an error than a release build, but there are a few times when even a debug build will give you a "memory access violation."
Best thing is to just try it and see what happens.

angel martinez(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks, yes that is the case : I receive a "memory access violation" with a debug build and I don't know the reason...

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#4]
A couple of things which I know of which could cause this :-

Writing pixels to an image/texture outwith it's boundaries.
Referencing an entity/image with a floating point var.

If it's none of those then you've no option but to create your own error handling which confirms each part of the app has been loaded correctly and print to the screen as the app is initialising. At least you'll know exactly where the failure occurs.

Stevie