need Fast function -> Point behind the camera

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/need Fast function -> Point behind the camera

FlagDKT(Posted 2006) [#1]
A fast function to see if a point at X,Y,Z is behind the camera? (outside 180 degree of view)
I was thinking about using vectors, but it could be too slow...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
may I ask why you need this?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#3]
How can..
TformPoint x,y,z,0,camera
If TformedZ()<0.0 ;then point is behind camera
;do stuff
EndIf
..be too slow?

FlagDKT(Posted 2006) [#4]
I need to know if many objects will be inview before placing them on the map (plants) for each frame.
I have my placepoints, and have to decide in wich of them to make the plants appear.
I test the distance from the camera to each placepoint and if the placepoint is behind the camera or not.
Am I wrong? :)

p.s.does tformpoint check takes camera orientation into count?

sswift(Posted 2006) [#5]
Calculate a normal for the camera using tformnormal, and then do a dot product between this and each point in the scene you want to check, after subtracting the camera's position from that point.

A dot product is this:
D# = Nx#*Px# + Ny#*Py# + Nz#*Pz#

Then if the result, D#, is positive (I think) the point is in front of the camera.

You may have to normalize the point as well after subtracting the camera position from it. That requires a square root. So hopefully you don't need to do that.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#6]
Tformpoint will do it just fine, tformnormal and a dot product could also be done but if you just want to know if it is behind the camera tformpoint will work fine, no need to do a dot product.

Paolo(Posted 2006) [#7]
Same as Matty said,

do a tformpoint with your X,Y,Z

TFormPoint X,Y,Z,0,camera

and then check the TFormedZ() value, if it is less than cero, then
it means the point is behing the camera.

Paolo.

FlagDKT(Posted 2006) [#8]
Thanks to everybody :)