Railgun effect...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Railgun effect...

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#1]
This is probably a simple one, but something I need to look into anyway since off the top of my head I'm not sure what to do.

Basically, what I want is code to create, from point A to point B, a railgun effect in the style of Quake III, Red Faction, etc...which feature a texturable beam.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
Are you sure you meant railgun? They only shoot a projectile, with no beam fx. I think you meant a Plasma gun?

however, I think there are several methods to create this effect more or less effeciently. I don't know how they are doing this, but I would maybe try to use a string of overlapping X-quads, containing a glow texture in additional blendmode. A helper pivot could be used with some Random x/y-addition to get some kind of ziczac line from the string parts.

An easier solution, that is maybe looking much better, would be to take some photos of flashes (weather) and create an animated texture with them, then use a simple geometry mesh with it. EG. a noncapped, flipmeshes cylinder.

Did you check out the archives? Maybe there's already some kind of plasma beam effect there.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#3]
Actually if you've ever played a game with a railgun (at least any I've seen), you'd see that they show a beam effect from origin to impact. However, I don't actually have a railgun in my game, but I want the traditional railgun effect for my particle beam rifle and another similar weapon.

I think I may have found what I was after in the code archives, with a little tweaking. My only concern will be keeping it from getting culled when the origin is out of view...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
of course I know the gun from quake etc. I don't remember how it was called, but a real railgun works with magnetism to accelerate a projectile, no beam there, AFAIK.

kevin8084(Posted 2006) [#5]
a realistic railgun in a game would be boring, as you'd see nothing but the aftereffects. Plasma, on the other hand, is nice and colorful! ;)

kevin8084(Posted 2006) [#6]
In a game that I was creating I used a laser rifle that fired nice, ruby beams. While experimenting on the beams I found that I could get a beam from origin to point of impact by scaling the beam (in this case, my beam was mesh) along the z axis.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#7]
Kevin, that's basically what I'm thinking...except I'm concerned beams that originate outside the players view (enemy snipers) won't appear cuz blitz will cull the whole mesh. I'm not sure, I'll try it out and see how it works.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#8]
Ha HA!! Lemme have a crack at this...wish I'd seen this post sooner. It's time for bed atm. =(

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#9]
Chroma,

would be interested in what you come up with ;-)

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#10]
Chroma: That's great, I'm going to try checking out the simple method right now and see if my fears are correct (not rendering beam if you can't see the source)...

Edit: Well, it actually seems to render as long as any part of the beam is in the viewport! Yay...

Tom(Posted 2006) [#11]
..except I'm concerned beams that originate outside the players view (enemy snipers) won't appear cuz blitz will cull the whole mesh

Use MeshCullBox(), new to v1.98, to define a cull box that surrounds the whole mesh and it will not get culled if any part of that box is in view.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#12]
Cool, I didn't know about that command, but now I'm not sure I need it. They seem to show up just fine even if you can't see the origin. If I notice problems later on though, I'll be sure to try that...

However, that will certainly help out with my player meshes (I was having problems with that)!

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#13]
You're right, you shouldn't need MeshCullBox for static objects, as Blitz already calculates those, and recalculates them when you scale. It just doesn't calculate them on animated entities, because it can't "predict" how far your models will move away from their original pose. But when you scale an object, you're explicitly telling B3D how the bounding box will be affected and it can "make a note".

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#14]
As I see...it will be very helpful with the animated meshes in my game then. What are the parems for MeshCullBox? I've never seen it mentioned before...

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#15]
MeshCullBox mesh,x#,y#,z#,width#,height#,depth#

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#16]
Simple enough, thanks!

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#17]
One last question, I'm adding a glow sprite to the origin and impact of the beams, and I'm not sure which way would be faster:

Using blitz built in sprites OR
creating a quad and manually pointing it at the camera each frame.
Or would both methods be about the same speed?

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#18]
Try this Orc. It's not optimized (loads the laser model everything shot hehe). I made a custom model for the beam. You can change the size of it in the CreateRG() function (X and Y axis) where it resizes the rg/mesh with ScaleMesh. (ScaleMesh rg\mesh,.7,.7,1)

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/zamagames/RailGun.zip

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#19]
That's exactly the way I figured out to do it :-)
Though I like your fade effect better than the alpha method I'm using...never thought to scale it down...

I bet Boiled Sweets would like to take a look at this...

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#20]
An alpha fade with a really high decay rate might look cool.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#21]
Yeah but it sticks around too long that way and you can go walking through it and stuff...doesn't look too good (it's a first person shooter BTW). I think the scaling method will look better for my purposes.