Anyone still using

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Anyone still using

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#1]
Is anyone here still using Protean IDE? I have recently started using B3D again after using Max and was looking for a different IDE to use from the default one. What IDE's are there that support B3D now? Is Protean still one of the better ones?

Thanks

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#2]
If anyone would like to give me a reply, that would be nice :)

b32(Posted 2006) [#3]
Hey enigma, I am using the standard IDE.

puki(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hey, you are aware that Protean is now free?

I liked it but never used it. I've never stuck with any IDE other than standard one.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yes I use Protean for Blitz3D, since back when it wasn't free after all :)

Haven't found any usefull alternative so far (I own a copy of WinBlitz as well but thats crap at best. Was several times promissed to get project support, never got it, support died)

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#6]
I was a beta tester on Protean, but there isn't any support for it anymore and didn't know if there were any other IDE's that were as good.

Thanks

Curtastic(Posted 2006) [#7]
I like how it recognises your variables and capitalizes them the way you defined them. Then you dont even need Strict becuase if a variable doesn't get capitalized you know it was spelled wrong or you forgot to declare it.

There are bugs though, like if there is a "-" sign right before a variable, the IDE doesn't recognize the variable.

I don't like how long the IDE takes to load.

I gave up when I could not get files that were in projects to recognise 3D commands.

miez(Posted 2006) [#8]
I'm using Protean, and I like it a lot. It's nice to be able to have several files open, the browsable helpfiles are a nice feature and the file browser is also a cool thing to have. Wouldn't like to go back to the default editor...

Rroff(Posted 2006) [#9]
While I have protean - I rarely use it - I actually like the default editor, its not ideal, but its not as cluttered as most of the other IDEs... actually aside from a few little changes to stuff, real-time command help prompts/tab completion, the only thing really lacking in the default editor is the ability to work with projects (load, save multiple files at same time as part of a project) ideally I'd like to see it so that each individual project showed up as if it was just one file in the tab at the top, and right clicking on the tab for that project listed the files available in a drop down menu.

Mikel(Posted 2006) [#10]
I bought Protean and really liked it. I recently switched to Visual Blitz for two reasons. One, Protean is not supported anymore and two, I started having stutter problems with a screen saver that I am working on (stutter did not happen with the default IDE or a couple of others that I tested).

Danny(Posted 2006) [#11]
Still using Protean and liking it. It can become a tad slow when you have massive amount of code, but you can tweak it's behaviour somewhat in the preferences..

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#12]
I gave up when I could not get files that were in projects to recognise 3D commands.

Sounds like you didn't set to Blitz3D compiler but BlitzPlus or Blitz2D

Dock(Posted 2006) [#13]
I still use the 'free' beta version of VisualBlitz for my Blitz3D stuff. I really like it. ^^;

VisualBlitz is dead and not updated now too, right?
Do orders for it get processed?

Mystik(Posted 2006) [#14]
I still use VisualBlitz for all my BlitzPlus and Blitz3d work.

Steve.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#15]
i am using the original editor. which is ok, except the missing undo function (multiple undo with ctrl-z).

Curtastic(Posted 2006) [#16]

Sounds like you didn't set to Blitz3D compiler but BlitzPlus or Blitz2D

If anyone wants to help that would be nice. Projects files don't seem to allow blitz3d. Graphics3D doesn't get recognised and doesn't compile.