Open/Draw movie in Blitz3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Open/Draw movie in Blitz3D

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#1]
..I'm wondering whats the limitation of this commands..if I just wanna play whole movie from within Blitz3D, is there any limitation regarding memory or whatever??

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
playing movies is hard work for he machine in general. Especially some heavily compressing codecs like MP4 (divix etc.) need some time to decode the movie. So when you use a huge format (eg. a 1600*1200 pixel movie) then you shouldn't be surprised if your machine is 100% busy.

In Blitz you should Close a movie before you end the program.
It is using DirectShow, the movieplayer of DirectX. You should know it can only play a movie if the codec is installed on a certain machine.

So probably it's the best practice to check if a codec is supported, and if it isn't, offer a codec install to the user. You may find a freely distributable codec at www.free-codecs.com. It would then be somethin like:

m=openmovie("test.avi")
if m=0 then
 execfile "codec_install_whatever.exe"
 print "press a key to continue"
 waitkey()
else
 closemovie m
endif

or maybe something more smart.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
..I understand that JFK..what i am wondering is is it possible to play from within Blitz3D whole movie, regarding movie size and memory management Blitz do..I wanna make some movie player, so I am wondering can Blitz handle whole movie (let say 700 megz file) to play without crashing down??

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
You should try it. As long as the file isn't bigger than 2 gigs it should work ok.