'Stencil shadow' thread 2

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/'Stencil shadow' thread 2

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#1]
hello!

the first stencil shw thread was allready full. so please write here now!

previous shadow thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62378

thank you.

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hi All

New Update for "Core" to be create volume!!!!

file: ShadowVolumes.bb

1 modify statistic time for "Volume time"

file: SampleFunctions.bb

Bye

Dock(Posted 2006) [#3]
What happens to the stencil shadows if you have more than one light in your scene? Does it cope okay or do the stencil shadows rely on a single light source?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#4]
when you add a seccond light, he deletes the first light.
of course it is possible to do multilights! but the only problem is, that the parts of the scene, where the both shadows should overlap, are not overlapping!

Dock(Posted 2006) [#5]
I don't think the lack of overlapping is too bad. For example, if you had two connecting rooms (both lit by a small bulb) you wouldn't mind that there wasn't a darker area in the connecting doorway or corridor. Clever asset layout would probably be recommended though. ^^

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#6]
This condizion I have idea bsp for interaction ambient, the light interaction only object present in the specyfic zone.

ciao !! bye

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#7]
daredevil:
when you have updated, please send them to me and dont make them public. i wanna make a release soon. and not every day an update. this confuses only!!!

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#8]
!!! SPEED !!!

Optimizzation for core 20%

Devils Child pleace test all inport and export shadow

are can new update for speed

http://digidownload.libero.it/enzo_light/DSS_Release_0.7E.rar

Bye

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#9]
daredevil: i said, I am oranizing the releases!!!
ARGH

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#10]
Ok!!

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#11]
grat news guys!!
ENBM is now supported as well!

see:

Mike0101(Posted 2006) [#12]
A Gaetano

Ho visto che tu sei italiano e quindi scrivo in italiano (prima e l'ultima volta, inglese e l'ufficiale qui) ma in italiano posso spiegare meglio che cosa penso di stencil shawow system.
E troppo buono quello che avete fatto. Forse il massimo in Blitz3D ma quasi sono sicuro che non si puo fare sistema di ombra rapida, veramente usabile in gioco.
Anchi'io sto facendo un giocio con Blitz ed anch'io vorrei bell ombra ma secondo me questo sistema sara sufficente per un demo scene con 2-3 lowpoly modelli ma non sara sufficente in gioco vero, purtroppo. Se per caso io sbaglio e tu fai qualcosa bella io saro molto allegro e contento ma ho paura di no.
L'ultima versione fa 15-20 fps con 2 lowpoli modelli sul mio PC (una media configurazione ) senza collision detect, senza AI, senza grosso map, senza scprit engine, senza (quasi) tutti.
Questo la mia opinione niente di piu, scusi ma non ti nascondo, ho scritto quello che ho pensato.
Tanti auguri

Ciao

Giorgio

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#13]
what the hell are you talking man???
talk english please...

sswift(Posted 2006) [#14]

To Gaetano I have inasmuch as you six Italian and therefore I before write in Italian (and the last time, English and the official here) but in Italian I can explain better than what task than stencil shawow system. And too much good the one which you have made. Perhaps the maximum in Blitz3D but nearly is sure that puo not to make system of fast shadow, truly usable in game. Anchi' I am making a giocio with Raid and anch' I would want Bell second shadow but me this sufficente system sara for demo scenes with 2-3 lowpoly models but not sara sufficente in true game, unfortunately. If for case I mistake and you make something beautiful saro much allegro and content I but I have fear not. The last version makes 15-20 fps with 2 lowpoli models on my PC (one medium configuration) without collision detect, To i, large map, scprit engine, (nearly) all. This my opinion nothing of piu, excuses but I do not hide to you, I have written what I have thought. Many auguries Hello George

Mike0101(Posted 2006) [#15]
Above me a traslate machine result.

In english: Your shadow system is very good, really nice work but I think Blitz3D is not able, proper to make really good very fast stencil shadow what is usable in a big project. Maybe a professional C++ made
dll is usable.
I was buy Adrej's shadow system (with dll writed in c++) but very weak in game, with big map with more full animated models with mor light.
I would like to see and use a good directx based, hardwer supported stencil shadow system. I need it.
I hope you can make this but I don't believe.
Why does not make Mark Silby this kind of shadow for Blitz3D? Without help of Mark will be very hard to realization this.
This is my opinion, nothing else.
I whis good work.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2006) [#16]
The only thing I really understood...

"Why does not make Mark Silby this kind of shadow for Blitz3D?"

Good question, hehehehe.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#17]
As far as i know he does, it was seen in screenshots of Max3D work in progress, together with the physics engine etc., half a year ago or so. It's probably still in his Worklogs.

Mike0101(Posted 2006) [#18]
Yes, for BlitzMax3D but the old Blitz3D is not supported.
(little bugfix but nothing else)

markcw(Posted 2006) [#19]
i just tried out this shadow system. i get this message "Graphic card does not support stencil buffers." my card is ati radeon ve.

just thought i'd mention it. i can run the "swift shadow system" so i thought since this looks exactly the same, it would run too. wrong! :)

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#20]
desable the line "Runtimeerror "Graphic card..." and test it. if it works, ok. otherwise your graphic card is to old...

the "swifty demo" looks like the swift shadow system, but it is using MY system!

btw: this shadow system works differentey of sswifts one!

stencil shadows
(+) fast, robust, self shadowing
(-) angular, problems with animations, needs graphic cards > gforce2, very complex!

texture shadow system
(+) smooth, animations are working without extra coding, no high end graphic card required
(-) slow, no self shadowing, easier to make

markcw(Posted 2006) [#21]
well yes it runs, but there are no shadows!

guess i need to upgrade.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#22]
update graphic card drivers! reboot pc and try it again...

when there are no shadows, press key "2" to activate shadow mode, if you have unfortiunaly pressed key "1" for no-sahdow-mode ;)
cya

sswift(Posted 2006) [#23]
"easier to make"

I beg to differ! Stencil shadows do not require complicated projections and polygon clipping! You just extrude a volume along a line etending from the light source! Much simpler math! :-)

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#24]
great news guys!!!

the camera can now get inside the shadow volumes as well :)
but the only problem is that the rendering of the shadows is very costly since now!

see:

i will release the next version in a week :)
cya!

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#25]
hi Mike0101

my name Vincenzo Caldarulo, Gaetano in may friend good friend :)

The shadow system ops!! DSS is a system for game non only demo, the optimization code are a process for all function or core.

blitz have a limitation for pointer structure this is a problem, but the beautiful one is to exceed the limits.

I'm programmer C++ ex programmer professional the gamer :)

------------------------------------------------------------

for Devils Child

Good work! send me the version ;)

I believe there am of the BUG in the tails, to level of management.
and creed of being able to resolve them but if job on this my version
lì we will increase.

Bye

Mike0101(Posted 2006) [#26]
Scusi per il nome, da oggi Vincenzo. Va bene?
A working stencil shadow system is my dream.
I wrote my doubt only but I hope you will clear my doubt.

thnx

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#27]
====================
===== DSS 0.9 Beta =====
====================

As i promissed, i will release the 0.9beta now!

here you go guys!
http://xware.chat-blitz.de/scripts/upload/DSS_Release_0.9b.zip
http://xware.chat-blitz.de/scripts/upload/DSS_Release_0.9b_EXE_Only.zip
This is almost final. there won't be great changes.

and don't forgett to update the userlibs!

have fun :)
of course you can use this in your game for free. but don't forget the credits ;)

cya!

degac(Posted 2006) [#28]
Orca Leppa! Wow! many thanks!!!

mongia2(Posted 2006) [#29]
best work!!!

mongia2

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#30]
thx guys :)
hope you find some use in it!

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#31]
All the shadow demo's say my card does not support bumpmapping but I'm almost certain is does?!

Sure, a gfx440mx is old ( which I'm keeping for compatibility ) but so is bumpmapping! It supports stencils fine.

Any ideas what's going on?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#32]
first at all, update your graph. card drivers and reboot :)
if this doesnt work, just disable the "runtimeerror" command(but not the whole line)!

hope it helps... i got this problem from 3 users and i dont know why... perhabs tom knows why, he made the dll :)

cya

SideExtreme(Posted 2006) [#33]
I try launch bb code but return thi error ... function "bb_getcamerangestart" not found

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#34]
@ Devils ... I can't imagine updating my drivers will make a bit of difference as they're pretty up to date anyway. Any other bumpmapping and stencil systems I've tried work fine on my system, including previous version of yours and Tom's.

I really wanted to check the speed of the system on this rig before I started playing around with it.

Looks sweet mind you.

Stevie

mr.keks(Posted 2006) [#35]
@sideextreme: have you put the userlib-decls-files into your userlib dir?

@devils child: greate work! i've been playing around with it in order to enable soft self shadowing and colored lights casting not colored shadows... i thought it would work, if i didn't draw the shadow plane but instead drew the whole scene with disabled lights (of course still using the stencil). and it worked (though the selfshadowing is often not really soft.. ill have to do some more work on this ^^). but somehow i've messed up something with the zbuffer. it works and the shadows as well as the scene are drawn quite properly, but some regions aren't zsortet the way they should. any suggestions?

you can see that in the center there are some zglitches.. unfortunately im not too familiar with all these directx render modes, that you're using. any ideas?

SideExtreme(Posted 2006) [#36]
in userlibs folder i see 3 file

-Devilshadowsystem.decls

-Devilshadowsystem.b3d

-Devilshadowsistem_DX7.dll

I need some more file?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#37]
sideExtreme: you need to update the dlls in your userlib folder. delete my dlls in your blitz userlib dir and put in the new ones.

inarie: i am trying to make soft self shadowing, but i had no success yet. but i will try harder on it :)

also, i am very happy with our current result!
cya

mongia2(Posted 2006) [#38]
your code is very very! good!

thanks for shadows b3d!

there are some bug in create mesh.shw
in my model

thanks

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#39]
hi Devils Child

pleace enable line 3d for debug silouette ;)

whats function contain "DevilShadowSystem_B3D.dll" if is code c++ pleace post a my email the code for optimization.

Spot:

DDS... the new style shodow

Bye ;)

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#40]
devilshadowsystem_b3d.dll is a dll which has functions like GetEntityRed() or GetCamRangeStart()
also there is no need to optimaze the dlls. and i dont even have any c++ source code!

@ianrie: i don't know what you are doing there. please send me the source of that, and i will implement soft self shadowing :)

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#41]
I study the system for optimize speed silhouette.

step by step go to piramid

Bye

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#42]
Wait ... wait .. wait

The my optimization what is ?

a new optimizzation?

is very very low speed, ok ... ok ... I optimized all

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#43]
davedevil:

some thing left to do for you is to update your signature!

Software-Renderer Shadow Volume: www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=58767

just put there the link to my worklog!!

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2006) [#44]
Hm. Please add multipass buffer (hardware isnt possible with dx7) and so are smooth shadows possible

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#45]
no, i tried this a certain time ago and it is not possible.
also it would bu such a slowdown!!

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#46]
i checked out soft self shadowing. inarie gave me the hot tip for rendering the ambient noise only instead of the whoule scene in dark! so i got soft self shadows. but somehow they are not working. see the lila pic above^^

tom: have you got any idea??

edit: here is a screenshot

but there are still some problems!

Dock(Posted 2006) [#47]
I can't use the 0.9b demos on my Intel Extreme laptop because it moans about the hard not being able to do bump mapping, even on the demos without it.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#48]
he is initialzing bump mapping on the beginning of the program in the case of you would use it at the and...

try to disable the runtimeerror command and tell me what happens.
if the dx7_... commands will cause MAV, your graphics cars is to old!
cya

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#49]
I devil

i have a question for you:

what is a function for copy list vertex shadow? (ex function copy vertex)
what's name have?

you copy all vertex preview create shadow

pleace this information are muth more important for result the optimizzation.

Ciao

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#50]
talk english, and then i will explain you

stayne(Posted 2006) [#51]
classic.

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#52]
I have resolved the question

the new system is not optimizzation

I return old version

excused for the my English not corrected

bye ;)

IKG(Posted 2006) [#53]
This should work fine with JV-ODE wrapper, right?

Great job :D

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#54]
yes, of corse :)
the executable to the screenshot below is in the new 0.9beta delivered with.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#55]
hello everybody!

if you want to work with this shadow system easier, here is my new user interface:

these are functions which makes it easier to habdle the shadow system

instad of
c = createcube()
setshadowmesh c

you can now use:
c = createshadowcube()

cya!

Dock(Posted 2006) [#56]
Does the 0.9b system include the new soft self shadow system? I have an idea for a small project that could use this shadow system but I want to be sure the self shadowing problem isn't present. Keep up the good work guys! ^_^

stayne(Posted 2006) [#57]
Great stuff! How's the water coming along?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#58]
thx :)
dock: the soft self shadowing isn't improved yet. and also i don't know if and when it will. but belive me, this is the best shadow system you can get for free!

markd: the water sys is alrealy finished, but i have some problems, when setting a camera's viewport. it looks like one of the old stencil demos by tom on ATIs...

cu

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#59]
Hi Devil
I have optimized DSS version 7.b obtain 260% over limit the your new version .9x

:D

bye

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#60]
send me the new version!
edit: but DON'T publish it now!

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#61]
please send it to me, daredevil!

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#62]
i got an idea:
the "Blitz3D C++ geometry code" threas is standing above all other threads. also the jv-ode and the tokamak thread are standing above all others. can any moderator make this shdaow thread stand above, please?

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#63]
I have not understood
you can write easier for me

Bye ( Ciao )

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#64]
You mean make it a sticky? Completely agree.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#65]
he said: ha detto gli trasmette la nuova versione e non la pubblica

he also said: inoltre ha detto rendere a questo filetto un filetto appiccicoso

degac(Posted 2006) [#66]
Translation mode on
Spediscigli via email la nuova versione, e pensa che sia utile rendere questo thread 'fisso' come "Blitz3D C++ geometry code" e altri...

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#67]
hey everybody!
i have just improved soft self shadowing (thx to inaries help)

and now, let's make this thread and the follwoing shadow threads sticky!!

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#68]
can't wait to get the new version...

IKG(Posted 2006) [#69]
Yeah, this really is great :)

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#70]
i will release the final version in approx. a month.
the version will be 1.0 but maybee there will come a 1.1 version if we optimaze it.
cu

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#71]
tom, i have got a querstion to you:
you are the develpoer of the dx7 dll. and to enable soft shadows. we need to blur the stencil mask. with a 1 bit stencil buffer it is not possible. but with 8 bits it is. is it possible to do that?

Mike0101(Posted 2006) [#72]
This system is very-very good work but the animated b3d part has many bugs
This is (would be) the most important part of the shadowsystem because b3d is the native file of Blitz3d and this is a shadowsystem dedicated to Blitz3D.
I can't waiting the new bugfree release, I need it:)

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#73]
well, i guess, there won't be any support for b3d animations at all :/
i restricted the b3d animations from the new release, because it is to buggy and i can't fix it!

i will release the final one next week :)

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#74]
~CLOSED~

please go on here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63491

@moderators: close this thread please!