3D models and where to get them

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D models and where to get them

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi All!
I've been working for quite a while on a 3d game engine, and it's coming along quite nicely.
The only problem i've encountered is the fact that i'm very bad at 3d modelling.
I've been trying for many months to learn to use a 3d modelling package such as blender, but since my artistic skills are not up to much, i've hit a bit of a snag.

Specifically, what i'm looking for is star wars models.
I'd particularly like some that are set up already as game models. Anything would be great - spaceships, character models, or lightsabers.

Let me just say that what i'm making is completely non-profit, and if i was to ever release it on the net, i'd ensure i had Lucas' permission first, but currently, this is just for my personal use.

All I really want is to know if anyone can give me links to any sites that supply the models, because I wouldn't expect anyone to make any for me.

I just can't seem to find any good ones by searching on the net.

Also, could anyone tell me if any of the models have animations?

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#2]
try http://www.turbosquid.com. maybe you'll find something there...

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#3]
http://www.scifi3d.com/list.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=4

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#4]
[link] www.wings3d.com [/link]

ahem, used to hate this modeller but found it a lot easier than most MUCH later on...

yay for wings!

Rroff(Posted 2006) [#5]
www.milkshape3d.com - uncluttered simple to use low to medium poly modelling package - ideal for creating simple game models and learning basic modelling skills. Personally I still find it the best for game models despite having access to most of the top end packages like lightwave and 3dsmax.

Bnesiba(Posted 2006) [#6]
Actually, i hate milkshapes interface.. any program were you actually have to push the extrude button is bad =P

dont really like wings either due to the single window.

i use blender and like it alot., its fast, easy and in general better.

i wouldnt reccomend turbosquid.com since they way over-price their models so the artists can make some money.

there were some meshes that came with b3d, some of them were space-oriented too. but i would reccomend just searching for free models on the internet, somethings bound to turn up.

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#7]
Okay, I tried some of the models from SciFi 3D, because they had the biggest collection.
Thanks to everyone who replied.

This might seem a bit of a stupid question, but most of the models require multiple textures.
However, when I import them into blitz using the loadmesh command, and texture them using loadtexture then entitytexture, only one texture displays at a time, even if I apply all textures to the mesh.
Am I missing something?

Oh, and by the way, i'm using a program called biturn to change the models from e.g. 3ds to B3D format.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#8]
There's no point converting from 3ds to b3d, you might just as well use 3ds if that's the format they come in.

In order to apply different textures to different parts, you'll have to use either FindChild() ( if you know the name of the part ) or CountChildren() and GetChild() if you don't.

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#9]
Sorry about that, I meant lwo to B3D format.

Hmm. Does that really work? I thought the CountChildren() command counted the number of entities parented to another entity.

Well, regardless, I just tried this:

CountChildren(MyModel)
and I get 0.

I'll just state my problem again in case there's any confusion - the model I want to texture has various sections. I need to apply a texture only to a certain section of the model at a time, not the model as a whole.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#10]
You'll have to be more specific about which model you're talking about. You say it has sections, CountChildren says it doesn't. I'm going to need to take a look at the model to spot the discrepancy.

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#11]
Sure:
http://wolf359a.anet-stl.com/warmesh.html
I'm working with the first model on the page (the A-Wing).

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#12]
Ah heck, my bad, it's been a while since I used Blitz3d, and I forgot to mention. You won't get any children unless you use LoadAnimMesh to load the model. I'm guessing you're just using LoadMesh() which puts them all into one model.

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#13]
Ah that explains it!
Thanks for your help, I should be able to get something working now.

Edit: Apparently not!
I just tried it again with loadanimmesh() and it's still giving me 0 children.

AWing = LoadAnimMesh(..........)
Print CountChildren(AWing)

What's wrong? :(

Oh, and if I use loadanimmesh do I also have to use loadanimtexture for the textures?

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#14]
No, you don't need to use LoadAnimTexture. That's for animated textures.

Whatever you're using to convert the models is messing up the sections. I just loaded that AWing into 3dsMax, exported it to .x format and loaded it to find that it reports 1 with CountChildren() Then grabbing that child entity and CountChildren() on that, I got 11 ( which seems to be the number of mesh sections. )

Here's my conversion of the model so you can make sure your code is right.

http://www.glimmergames.com/temp/awing.rar

TomToad(Posted 2006) [#15]
I think something might've been lost in translation. Better to find models already in a Blitz3D supported format than to try and convert another one.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#16]
on turbosquid there are lots of FREE models... not only payware.

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#17]
Hmm. I'm using a freeware program called "biturn" to convert the models.
Can you recommend any freeware model converters that don't mess up the sections?

PoliteProgrammer(Posted 2006) [#18]
What about blender?
Does that mess up sections if i just import and then export?
Regardless, i don't think it handles .prj files anyway.
So if anyone knows a freeware file converter for 3d models, i'd be really appreciative.

Yeshu777(Posted 2006) [#19]
I use models from 3ds max with multiple textures and my artist chap assign each surface a unique texture.

Use CountSurfaces, to get how many surfaces there are - load the texture into a brush and paint each surface with the required texture.

Works for me.

Rroff(Posted 2006) [#20]
Bnesiba - not quite sure what your saying (never used the extrude feature in another package tho) - but you can use F7 to extrude if you hate pressing the button :D

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#21]
Here's some high poly models:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=51362#573111

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#22]
the links are dead...

Nathaniel(Posted 2006) [#23]
That's weird. They worked a couple of weeks ago.

Blitz123(Posted 2006) [#24]
I use gmax (from the same people as 3DsMax) and the Tempest exporter to Quake3 format ,then convert them to .x in a program called LithUnwrap. Lots of work, but it works!
I got hold of gmax with a game I got , its a heck of a download on dial-up...

KimoTech(Posted 2006) [#25]
The reason that u cant use CountChildren() with LWO to B3D converted models, is that the lwo format only uses Surfaces. Not Objects/Entities.