SCHNOK! 0.96 beta - small update

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/SCHNOK! 0.96 beta - small update

Danny(Posted 2006) [#1]
SCHNOK! is a gui editor for WinBlitz3D which alows you to graphically design your forms and gui's "in real time!" and export to Blitz3D code ;)

Note this is still a Beta version so it still has known bugs and limitations so be sure to read the ReadMe and Version History files..

What's new?

1. Window-Menu's are now exported to code.

2. Extended Styles are now exported to code.

3. Added a PAUSE button to the toolbar (far right).
Using this you can 'pause' Schnok! so it won't use any cpu time anymore and you can test your gui or own program in the background. Note that Schnok will stil be using a 640x480 runtime window, so gfx cards with very little memory might not be able to open a 2nd Bitz3D runtime window.

It's totally free, odorless, environmentally friendly and you can get it here:
www.xs4all.nl/~dendanny/SCHNOK/schnok.v0.96b.rar

Danny

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#2]
Finally! I like winblitz3d (except for the loaddir... prob) But the lack of an editor was keping me from using it.

b32(Posted 2006) [#3]
Very nice, thanks a lot, Danny!

Kev(Posted 2006) [#4]
nice danny, 2 updates in as many days :)

@Fuller. '(except for the loaddir... prob)' what might that be?

kev

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#5]
Danny, I'm not able to add anymore menu items other than File and Edit which are already there. Is there a way to add more top level menu items that I don't see?

Danny(Posted 2006) [#6]
Chroma, errr... no sorry mate not at the moment. I thought I had at least that in the menu editor but it seems I haven't. Hence the reason I had de-activated the exporting of menu items. You'll have to do it manually for now.

I'll try to finish the menu editor, and fix the tabber-editor within the next few days if time alows...

danny

b32(Posted 2006) [#7]
/removed/ sorry .. i misunderstood it

LAB[au](Posted 2006) [#8]
The panel's caption isn't exported either. Quite easy to fix ...

WB3D_setgadgettext(gadgethandle,"caption")

But should be quite easy to add it in Schnok as well ;)

The pause button is really nice liitle addition!

Danny(Posted 2006) [#9]
Yep totally possible! I use tabbers in a different way (caption changes so I set them manually) so I never spotted that ;)
I'll include it in the next update!

D

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#10]
I know this topic is 2 months old. But are there any more updates to this?

Danny(Posted 2006) [#11]
Depends on the feedback...

like you said, I haven't heard many people shout in the last couple weeks, so if it's ain't broke, I'm not fixing it ;)

If you need any bug fixes or features let me know and I'll have a look. I'm a tad shy for time these days though...

Danny.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#12]
Whoa, geez a posted (Fuller, 2 posts above) and completely forgot about it. Sorry, About that. I do have a small thing thats been buggin me about th editor. It really needs a click and drag gadget to resize/move. Otherwise, the full concept is less useful for huge GUI projects. (I spent all night one day working on a GUI just to press the wrong button and end with a Error(need to save)) Now, I'm not saying like "Do this or I'll sue you" Just saying that it's a great project and could potentially be profitable.

Danny(Posted 2006) [#13]
I know what you mean Fuller. Be especially carefull once you've deleted a Tabber's tab! I am aware of a bug in there. Personally I always (with anything) save different versions of my data so I can always go back to an older version.

And yes, I TOTALLY AGREE with you that a click+drag move and scale is a bare minimum for any gui editor. But unfortunately that just ain't possible with WinBlitz3D at the moment. Because of several reasons, the most important one being that I can not get an event (triggered by a mouse click) from EVERY type of gadget..
I've spend many hours/days trying to come up with a workaround or hack, but haven't found anything better than using the keys, sorry.

Hence the reason Schnok is free.

I often 'group' gadgets together using a blank label for a place holder. This way i can move a group of gadgets around without having to do every one individually..

hope this helps,
Danny

Kev(Posted 2006) [#14]
Danny,

Try the api GetCapture() this will return a HWND pointer to the gadget that generated a mouse event, you will also need to call ReleaseCapture().

kev

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#15]
Can you sell something like an editor for a product you're not the author or seller of?

Don't get me wrong, you're editors great. Though a little buggy is the best and only, i guess, editor for wb3d

Kev(Posted 2006) [#16]

Can you sell something like an editor for a product you're not the author or seller of?

For wb3d yes, although credit and a little donation is always welcome.

Danny(Posted 2006) [#17]
intersting Kev, I'll check it out when I've got some extra time and maybe give it another go.

Also fuller, you should know I started Schnok during the very very first wb3d beta's, meaning that over the course of nearly a year I had to redo tons of code because wb3d underwent heavy changes. So the bugs are a legacy of that period (and a lack of free time to redo things properly)...

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#18]
Ah. That explanes it. Nice editor.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#19]
Seriously this has been a awesome project.

Kev and Danny have dedicated a major portion of their lives this last year to creating something for the Blitz community, then given it away for free!

Thanks guys.

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#20]
hmm 2 months old, I guess the GetCapture() method isn't working, or is it? I would love to see this click&drag feature :)

Danny(Posted 2007) [#21]
Hi jerome,

I must admit I haven't taken te time to check if those Getcapture/ReleaseCapture functions would enable me to add click&drag and click&size features.

Also because i have NO idea if ANYONE is actually using the editor at all, so I haven't been that 'motivated' or 'urged' to do something about it ;))

d.

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#22]
Well for a start I use it :) If you don't mind sharing the source code I could even contribute to it. About other people using it I don't know, I am starting a 6 months dev plan in which I will use Schnok, so I prefer to improve the tool at the start of the project rather than at its end!

Kev(Posted 2007) [#23]
guys get danny motivated, i wonder also.

anyway just to bring WinBlitz3D and SCHNOK closer new forum area available here.

http://www.winblitz3d.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

kev

FiNegirO(Posted 2007) [#24]
Danny, I'm using it the editor and it works fine.

Thanks and keep it alive!

Danny(Posted 2007) [#25]
Ok, we're working on making some improvements to Schnok.

For those interested to follow or comment, please check the winBltiz3D forum on www.winblitz3d.co.uk

Mikele(Posted 2007) [#26]
I'm using the editor too. Thanks guys.