Blitz3D Update 198 Now Available...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D Update 198 Now Available...

marksibly(Posted 2006) [#1]
...Fixes compressed texture surfaces losing when Alt-Tabing.

Goto the 'product updates' section of the 'account' page to download.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#2]
First response again! And again: w00t!

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#3]
THANKS mark!

Phalastos(Posted 2006) [#4]
Many thanks Mark and Tom for the dds feature with BSP maps! ;)

Best Regards

Alex

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#5]
Cool! Thanks!

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#6]
wow - this is really fast... thanks man!

AdrianT(Posted 2006) [#7]
hehe I heard a few days ago that DDS was in. Nice one, that should enable 3-4 times the detail in the fun racer on lower spec machines if we decide to tart it up a bit :) Or have it run in 8-16mb of Vram :D

Thanks for that, better late than never.

degac(Posted 2006) [#8]
you are monsters! thanks!!!

Dock(Posted 2006) [#9]
Massive thanks to everyone at Blitz!

semar(Posted 2006) [#10]
Endless thanks to the Blitz crew !

Sergio.

Finjogi(Posted 2006) [#11]
Nice, regular oil changes keeps the engine running manymany miles :)

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#12]
Well, I'm away for a month or so, and there are five updates I missed. Sweet!

OJay(Posted 2006) [#13]
thanks again to BRL!

and now back to Max3D please! ;D

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#14]
2 more 'till the big 2.00!

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#15]
2 more 'till the big 2.00!
It would suck if it turned out that the '.' is actually to seperate the major and minor version numbers instead of a decimal point as we're hoping.

A horrible thought, but may it be known: I thought of it first!
Still, let's hope Mark doesn't like 3 digit numbers.

Paolo(Posted 2006) [#16]
OK MARK, just confess it
... you have more motivation to work on Blitz3D than in the 3d module for bmax...
.... come on man, admit it :)

thanks!
Paolo.

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#17]
thank you, thank you and thank you!
you know who you are!

Tom(Posted 2006) [#18]

Good call! :)

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#19]

No, Mark. You still have a huge user-base who appreciate any further development on B3D.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#20]
Agreed, and judging by the requests that people make, it seems that there are very few things left to implement to satisfy the majority of B3D users.

semar(Posted 2006) [#21]
No, Mark. You still have a huge user-base who appreciate any further development on B3D.

I totally agree - and I agree also with what JustLuke says.

Long life to Blitz3D !

:)

Sergio.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2006) [#22]
Max3D is like duke nukem forever.. its a never ending story ^^

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#23]
Keep em coming! It`s great to see Blitz3D still getting updates. It`s still my favourite Blitz Research product and probably always will be.

Jason.

Barton(Posted 2006) [#24]
work fine ! Thanks....

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#25]
Thanks a lot!
I didn't get this: when I replace a BMP texture by a JPG and rename it back to BMP, Blitz3D will still load it correctly. Does this also work with the DDS ones?

cyberyoyo(Posted 2006) [#26]
Thanks for the support Mark.
It would be silly to drop Blitz3D, I don't see any other app that would let me do what B3D lets me do right now for windows.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#27]
the last 2 updates were really cool - DDS-Support boosted the FPS of my upcoming shooter on my (lame intel-integrated gfx) laptop from 4 fps to 28 fps!! i have to thank you again mark & tom! keep up the good work!

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#28]
jfk, XP also does this. If you rename a bmp to .jpg or .png , it still loads them. It must ignore the file extension and directly check the start of the file instead.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#29]
DDS-Support boosted the FPS of my upcoming shooter on my (lame intel-integrated gfx) laptop from 4 fps to 28 fps

Really? I'm no expert on this stuff, but isn't that unexpected? I mean, compressing the textures would save memory, but why would it have an effect on processing?

fredborg(Posted 2006) [#30]
I mean, compressing the textures would save memory, but why would it have an effect on processing?
Because with compression all the textures can fit in the video memory, otherwise they have to be copied from system memory to video memory during rendering which is incredibly slow.

Thanks for the update Mark and crew!

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#31]
Nice :) Much appreciated !

Pinete(Posted 2006) [#32]
Thanks a lot!!

Opcode(Posted 2006) [#33]
Cheers guys :)

Tom(Posted 2006) [#34]
And also, even if a DDS texture is in system memory rather than gfx card memory, the fetch time (time to transfer from sys mem to vid mem) will be 8 times quicker for DXT1, and 4 times quicker for DXT3/5.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#35]
Nice update ? Hum :/ i'm not sure ...

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#36]
Wow thats a fantastic increase in performance. I must check this out !

Thanks for the comparison t3k/Mac.

IPete2

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#37]
thats mainly because my notebook-graphicscard has no ram itself. it cuts the main memory to use that as graphic ram. and here is a huuuge boost. i never thought i could run my game on those machines... but now i can.

on good gfx-cards i don't think there will be such a huge boost.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#38]
Ross, you said:
"
jfk, XP also does this. If you rename a bmp to .jpg or .png , it still loads them. It must ignore the file extension and directly check the start of the file instead.
"

You compare Blitz3D to XP? You're kind of confusing me. My question was (is) can I replace a bmp texture of a model by a dds texture that is renamed to bmp, as it is possible with eg. jpg? This would mean I can postproductively optimize a game without to touch the models, source, paths etc.

I still wonder about that. But of course you're right, I should try it myself. Huh... now how to save dds :)

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2006) [#39]
Blitz3D wants in 1.99 a core update to directx 9!

Filax(Posted 2006) [#40]
I agree ShadowTurtle...

Bobysait(Posted 2006) [#41]
it will be for update 2.0 :-D ( version 1.99 will fix a bug fixed in previous version ... sorry i'm sarcastic ! )