Problems with Elite Style Game

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Problems with Elite Style Game

Newbunkle(Posted 2006) [#1]
Recently, I've been thinking about making an Elite style RPG/Space Sim/Trading Game in Blitz3D. I had hoped to add alien factions, diplomacy and even wars between empires. However, before even getting that far, I've run into a couple of problems.

The first problem involves the transition from space flight to atmosphere flight (and in theory, a safe landing). Spheres just don't look good. Period.

The good news is, that planets would only have a few colonies on them, so most of the surface could be generated randomly if necessary. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this, I'd be grateful.

The second problem is minor, but annoying. At the edges of the screen, objects tend to deform slightly. When increasing the view distance this gets much worse. I would appreciate suggestions on view settings, scale etc. - anything that might make it look better.

Plan B, is to change the nature of the game so that I can get away with having no planets whatsoever. I've thought about setting a game in Hyperspace:

"While travelling between two jump gates, something goes wrong, stranding you in the void between real space. There, you find yourself amongst the 'lost ones'."

In this idea, the player would be forced to visit make-shift drifter colonies, raid derelict ships for supplies, engage in combat with other survivors over resources, and perhaps encounter "something else" - something native to this dimension.

I would prefer to go with Plan A if possible, as I want to combine it with some empire-management elements, so that the universe grows and changes over time.

If anyone has any examples, I'd prefer to see some screenshots instead of just code, because honestly I'm not that good at it.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
First problem - LOD.

Use a low-poly sphere or even a sprite for distant planets. As you get closer, replace the low-poly sphere with a mid/high level equivalent.

You can give each planet a random number, and use this as its 'seed'. Use this fixed number with SeedRnd to generate the exact same sequence of 'random' numbers every time, i.e:
SeedRnd 16384
For N = 1 To 10
	Print Rand(1,50)
Next

Second problem with screen warping, try setting CameraZoom to 1.6 or 2.0. That should lessen the warping effect and stop your planets turning into eggs at the edges of the screen.

Newbunkle(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks. I just tweaked that in my example program and it worked a treat. :)

As for the random planets advice, thanks for that too. I might try messing about and see what I come up with.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#4]
Though I like plan B, it might be best to stick with plan A for now just so you can see exactly how it's done. Then moving on to other similar projects should be a breeze.

Newbunkle(Posted 2006) [#5]
Yeah, that was the intention. I don't expect to pull off anything great this time around. My graphics will be functional at best.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#6]
Plan C.

Dont let ships land

Newbunkle(Posted 2006) [#7]
lol, that would certainly simulate my experiences with Elite II.