Sprite Candy just got better

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sprite Candy just got better

CodeGit(Posted 2006) [#1]
The Sprite Candy (lib for Blitz3d) latest release is really good. It now incorporates a GUI extension that completely rocks. I just thought I would let everybody know.

I have nothing to do with the developer of Sprite Candy, I just felt that such a good product should get the recognition it deserves.

http://www.x-pressive.com/SpriteCandy/index.html

semar(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hi CodeGit,

is there a new version of SC ?

I ask it, because I've SC but no GUI.

Sergio.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yeah I have to agree, CodeG...

I have just been playing with the GUI extension for B3D and it is very nice indeed.

Nice work Mike - and thanks for the continuing support and upgrades, if only every vendor were as professional in their after sales service.

IPete2.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#4]
The GUI extension is seriously crazy...

Sprite Candy now also includes a GUI extension to create lightning fast, accelerated windows and gadgets that can be used to build a game menu within seconds. The GUI extension is very easy to use and will keep your code as clean as possible. It's main features are:

Full hardware acceleration
Fastest GUI available (using 3D-acceleration, single-surface and smart redraw techniques)
No constant redrawing neccessary (unlike a common 2D GUI)
Easy to use
ALL Sprite Candy FX-effects and image commands can be used with any window
Windows can be colorized, zoomed, or even rotated (while keeping fully functional!)
Transparent windows (can be set individually for each window or for the complete GUI)
Custom skins
Change / load skins during runtime ("hot swap")
Skins support masked transparency (to create rounded corners or even bullet holes, for example)
Window shadows
Each window can be handled exactly like a Sprite Candy image. This means you can move it, rotate it, scale it, change it's transparency, colorize it or apply any Sprite Candy effect!

I've been itching to tell people about this as MD kindly let me have an beta release to play with ;-) Glad MD finally got it out the door.

As I mentioned to MD, how on earth could SC be bettered, well he went and did it BIG TIME! If you don't own SC then NOW is a VERY good reason to. The GUI addon is VERY VERY slick! And no I have nothing to do with xpressive apart from being a very happy customer of Particle Candy and Sprite Candy.

Expect to see the GUI in use in the next version of qoob.

semar(Posted 2006) [#5]
Hi again,

where do you find the SC GUI extension ?

Sergio.

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#6]
Sprite Candy rocks! I've just tried the new GUI and it is absolutely fantastic! So easy to use and so fast in execution. Sprite Candy is surely one of the best (if not the best) add-ons for B3D and I'd love to see it supporting BMax, too.

Barney

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#7]
semar,

are you an existing customer? If so then you should have been sent an update. If not then I guess MD is working on getting this out to existing customers first then will update his site etc.

Barnabius,

when I first played with the skinning stuff I was blown away! It really is a killer library now and one everyone should have. I can safely say SC has reduced the time to get games out by many, many months. And this stuff just works, it's fast and so powerful.

semar(Posted 2006) [#8]
Yes Boiled Sweets, I've purchased SpriteCandy and ParticleCandy, but didn't find any update yet. I've sent right now an e-mail to Mike.

By the way, I agree with all the positive comments about SC, and would be nice to have it integrated also in BMax.

Sergio.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#9]
Some screenies... and remember...

Full hardware acceleration
Fastest GUI available (using 3D-acceleration, single-surface and smart redraw techniques)
No constant redrawing neccessary (unlike a common 2D GUI)
Easy to use
ALL Sprite Candy FX-effects and image commands can be used with any window
Windows can be colorized, zoomed, or even rotated (while keeping fully functional!)
Transparent windows (can be set individually for each window or for the complete GUI)
Custom skins
Change / load skins during runtime ("hot swap")
Skins support masked transparency (to create rounded corners or even bullet holes, for example)
Window shadows
Each window can be handled exactly like a Sprite Candy image. This means you can move it, rotate it, scale it, change it's transparency, colorize it or apply any Sprite Candy effect!

semar(Posted 2006) [#10]
I'm salivating...

semar(Posted 2006) [#11]
Impressive...! And you say that each window can be used as an object, so we can add any effect like MoveTo, etc + easing modes ?

Is this update free for existing customers ?

[EDIT-2]
WOW !

[EDIT-3]
I suppose that the GUI works only in windowed mode though - or ...?

Sergio.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#12]
..I cant see any information about this upgrade on x-pressive web site..

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#13]
I havn't recieved any info on an update? Should I email him or wait abit?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#14]
semar,

And you say that each window can be used as an object, so we can add any effect like MoveTo, etc + easing modes ?

YES CRAZY ISN'T IT?!?!?!?!

I suppose that the GUI works only in windowed mode though - or ...?

Of course not - both windows and full screen!!!! I just did my screen grabs in windowed mode. Obviously in windowed mode the regular windows cursor is drawn in non windowed mode you'll have to draw your own cursor but that's a doddle anyhow. In fact even in windowed mode you could turn of the standard windows cursor and drawn a funky one yourself. Either way it's not a problem...

semar(Posted 2006) [#15]
Sounds a fantastic add-on to the SC arsenal then..! Are also menu available ?

Nice screeny... I guess the window skins can also be customized in terms of graphic, am I right ?

Is there also a WYSIWYG GUI editor ?

Sergio.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#16]

Are also menu available ?

I guess the window skins can also be customized in terms of graphic, am I right ?

Of course!!! These are just a few samples...

semar(Posted 2006) [#17]
Boiled Sweets,

sorry I meant windows menu, for example File..Open... you know, the pop-down menu that you can attach to a window.

Is this GUI update free for existing SC users ?

Sergio.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#18]
First off I do not work for MD or Xpressive so these are just my opinions...

the pop-down menu that you can attach to a window.

Currently no.

No.But writing one wouldn't be that difficult.

Is this GUI update free for existing SC users ?

Yes.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#19]
Not bad - I have Particle Candy myself and this looks good also. I have been using Sswifts stuff and might do that still... But SC sure looks good!

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#20]
wow!

looks like this is an all-in-one solution for in-game GUI's
its a shame that SC costs half as much as Blitz3D itself though (last time I checked).

semar(Posted 2006) [#21]
its a shame that SC costs half as much as Blitz3D itself though (last time I checked).

That's not right:

Blitz3D costs 100USD = 77.50 EUR
SpriteCandy costs = 27.90 EUR

As an happy user, I can tell that SpriteCandy is worth every eurocent.

Sergio.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#22]
yes, think of it another way. It saves you weeks of work, for the same price as a budget game.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#23]
Please could all you people (Yes I mean you Mike), Could You all STOP making B3d any better.

Its bad enough that I havent even got a 3d Engine, without you lot showing off.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#24]
Well...

I have to agree with everything that Boiled says about this update. It truely is fab. You can grab the windows and throw them around too, thats quite fun - they can have inertia, eases etc.

In the pictures above, you see the tp one has a gadget with a radio button selected to "Siberia" - simply select WinXP and the whole GUI instantly swaps to look like XP, or one of the other skins you have coded in.

Brilliant - and the main loop is very small to run this app, due to the functionality being handled internally by SC and the GUi extension.

IPete2.

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#25]
has anyone got a screemshot of a futuristic or metallic looking GUI ?(that could be used in a game)

xmlspy(Posted 2006) [#26]
Is the zip wrong? cause I can get it but not extract it.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#27]
Slunkar,

you can design your own skin!

CodeGit(Posted 2006) [#28]
......like I said guys.....Brilliant, worth every cent.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#29]
Allrighty, just Dl'ed the demo and checked the other demos too. I just have buy this... it's SO good. And since it comes from the same maker than the Particle Candy it should be "compatible" in code and otherwise.

xmlspy(Posted 2006) [#30]
Hey Boiled... remove those images it's making me have to login into your site.

Wayne(Posted 2006) [#31]
will it regrow hair on my head ?
Will it help me drop that stubburn belly fat ?

How come my boiled sweets images are causing firefox to prompt for name and password.

Well back to late nite infomercials..

lo-tekk(Posted 2006) [#32]
Hey Boiled... remove those images it's making me have to login into your site.

bump

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#33]
those windows that look wooden (with the chains) are totally awesome.

I havent got the talent to design my own futuristic GUI though!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#34]
done

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#35]
Just thought I would mention, that if you are using TerraEd Pro and Sprite Candy, you may find two things.

(1) set the camerarange to lower than usual something lke 0.1 for near is okay.

(2) Change the name of the Timer in the BackgroundScene..bb for the animatebackground function, otherwise you will find an incompatibility with a type name in Filax's code.

IPete2.

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#36]
Does anyone have an email address for Mike? I never got updated on my old email address, despite his assurances that he was sending them and it was my email address at fault and now after changing to a new address, I'm not getting them there either.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#37]
if you log into your shareit account, you can get the updates that way.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#38]
info [at] x-pressive [dot] com

always worked a treat for me, Gabriel. And after not getting the previous two updates via email (and chasing them manually), this one came without a hitch. Yay! :o)

Gabriel(Posted 2006) [#39]
Thanks, I'll try that.

@BoomBoom: I would, but I have about fifteen of those, and I'm not sure I recall passwords for any of them so it would take a week, lol.

xmlspy(Posted 2006) [#40]
Great freaking no notice update system(reminds me of swift). The zip on the site leads to nothing.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#41]
If any registered customers haven't received notification of their update, send an email to

info [at] x-pressive [dot] com

and ask about it. Never had a problem asking for it 'manually' (responded to in a few hours).

lo-tekk(Posted 2006) [#42]
Some of OT here:

what's the lastest version of Particle Candy then.
Haven't heart of it since years.

Thanks

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#43]
AFAIK the current version of Particle Candy is 1.5.3

lo-tekk(Posted 2006) [#44]
AFAIK the current version of Particle Candy is 1.5.3

Nothing new then, thank you.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2006) [#45]
I just bought this, and so far I'm loving it. One thing though, is there a way to change the blend mode of a layer/shape? It seems only alpha blending is available, but I'd like to have other options for my on screen filter.