Wouldn't it be great to have a DX8 B3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Wouldn't it be great to have a DX8 B3D?

puki(Posted 2006) [#1]
Let's not push our luck and say DX9 - however, wouldn't a DX8 B3D be nice?

Personally, I'd pay for a brand new DX8 B3D - ie it wouldn't be an update, it would be a brand new version.

You see, I am kind of suspicious that a lot of people who went over to BMax would come back to B3D. This would be good for BRL as they'd all have to purchase B3D DX8.

I think if enough people agree with me then "Sibbo" will consider it - he's probably reading this now thinking about doing it. Go on "Sibbo" - give us B3D DX8.

Right, next week is fine by me.

Sledge(Posted 2006) [#2]
I knee-jerkily disagree - DX8 games gave the impression of being the worst performing ones on my old GeForce card. Of course there are a lot of factors involved, but generally speaking it seemed to me that DX7 performed better due to attempting less, while DX9 performed better due to doing the complex stuff more competently. Is that crazy?

With DX9 being the last pre-Vista revision of the API (and DX10 being Vista-only), why not go all out for that?

serverman(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think a Blitz3D 2.0 build upon .Net and DX10, aiming at Vista would be the only reasonable successor for Blitz3D. But I don't think this is going to happen. Mark will focus on Blitzmax and for Blitz3D there's enough competition (DarkBasic Pro, GLBasic, PureBasic, NuclearBasic, etc.)

slenkar(Posted 2006) [#4]
the blitzmax 3d module will cover this.
The only thing I dont like about blitzmax is reading all the problems people are having with memory management.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#5]
dx8 b3d is not needed. give us stencil buffer support and we are happy ;)

H&K(Posted 2006) [#6]
DX8 is like the idiot brother of DX.

puki(Posted 2006) [#7]
I don't want Max3D - I'll buy it, but I don't want it.

I'm likely to be lured by Cobra. I need something to lure me back to Blitz.

It is of pressing importance that there be some kind of B3D v2 or you may all never see me again - ever.

b32(Posted 2006) [#8]
If (Blitz3D2=(Blitz3D And (DX9 Or DX10))) Then 
  Buy Blitz3D2, 0, 150
End If

puki(Posted 2006) [#9]
Excellent idea - "Sibly" is bound to understand that.

Price set at $150.00

Sold, sold, sold.

Hand it over "Sibly". I'll even buy this Smax3D thing.

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#10]
ya'll could just write your own DX9 B3D ripp-off engine...that's what i'm doing

H&K(Posted 2006) [#11]
It is of pressing importance that there be some kind of B3D v2 or you may all never see me again - ever

So........ B3D v2/Max3d or no puki, Hummmmmmm.

If we pretend there isnt going to be any change at all, will you disapear, and only come back when there is? ;)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#12]
Blitz3d is still a solid platform to produce very good 3d shareware games - even more so now it's just been updated with DDS texture support.
I think this feature alone will extend its life quite a bit.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#13]
DX7 and DX8 rendering techs are so different that it would require total re-write of the Blitz3D. Not going to happen and even I don't want it... tangent space normal maps, stencils (well any shadows)and render to texture would be insteadon my wish list.

serverman(Posted 2006) [#14]
All I want for Blitz3D now is stencil shadow support and render to texture. Together with normal mapping and DDS (DXTC) support this is everything most of the Blitz3D users will ever need. Most of you don't know how to use shaders so DX8, DX9 would be a total waste of time for Mark.

b32(Posted 2006) [#15]
@mustang: render to texture ?
If you have C++, here is a .DLL to do that: (by scouse)
http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:c3XNaqPjbKoJ:legion.gibbering.net/pastebin/index.php%3Fid%3D587+scouse+pastebin+rendertarget&hl=nl&gl=nl&ct=clnk&cd=2
I like the shadow system jfk explained here better than stencil shadows:
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57143

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#16]
Hi bram,

Missed that one... and I don't have C++, so I'd need the .DLL and some explanation how it works?

Ah, found it:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=41012

Now I will bump it a bit...

big10p(Posted 2006) [#17]
@mustang: render to texture ?
If you have C++, here is a .DLL to do that: (by scouse)
Heh, it seems like Tom is writing Blitz3D V2.0 all on his own! :P

(scouse = Tom, for all those that don't go on IRC)

John J.(Posted 2006) [#18]
Actually, there will be a Blitz3D 2.0 - it's just that it will be under a new name: Max3D. Another advantage to Max3D will be that it is for BlitzMax (obviously), although this could be a disadvantage, depending on whether you like OOP or not.

Personally, I think BlitzMax is much better to program in than Blitz3D, for both performance and structure reasons. The only thing I don't like about Blitzmax is the fact that there is no "Delete"; everything must be "garbage collected". Also, I thnk BlitzMax's garbage collection is too "aggressive" (for example, in my MaXML module, it was garbage collecting an xmlDocument before I was done with it!! (in other words, before all variables were de-referenced from it). If these issues could be resolved, I think BlitzMax + Max3D would be the perfect combination.

I think the new support of DDS textures in Blitz3D is a wonderful addition, and I'm very pleased to have this feature. However, since new features like this (stencil shadows, etc.) were never advertised in Blitz3D, I do not expect Blitz3D to support them. I bought Blitz3D for what features were advertized, and that's exactly what I got.

Now, for those who want more power than Blitz3D has to offer, BRL is currently working on Max3D (think of it as Blitz3D 2.0). Re-writing Blitz3D for DX8 or DX9 would be redundant and a waste of time.

xmlspy(Posted 2006) [#19]
I'm going to buy the DX9 render engine from Solstar Games once they finish tweaking it.... It just replaces old DX7. It should allow you to run your old code with minor modifications. blablablalbalbla

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#20]
Why dont you use your spare time waiting for BMX3D to write a DX7 to 9 layer. Pop the DLLs in with B3D and away you go.....

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#21]
> I'm likely to be lured by Cobra. I need
> something to lure me back to Blitz.

Why does it matter what version of DX Blitz has, I can't see you making a game in either anytime soon ;)

@rtur(Posted 2006) [#22]
There is already lib by Andreyman for blitz3d for render stencil shadows, use environment bump mapping, DOF, render to texture etc. So it is better to have good Max3D module instead rewriting blitz3d to newer dx version imho.

serverman(Posted 2006) [#23]
Yeah, I just got that lib from Andreyman and I'm now rewriting the helpfile for it. I offered Andreyman my help to set up a support forum and all but he first must get a PayPal account. But this lib is really top!

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#24]
where can i get this lib (andreymans fx) - sounds quite good and useful to me.

puki(Posted 2006) [#25]
B3D is cute - it will always be cute.

B3D is the shy, cute, good-looking, girl in a nightclub who will love you forever and cook for you everyday.

BMax is a slapper with a plastic bag over its head that everyone is using for a one-night stand.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#26]
I agree about Blitz3D being like a cute, friendly girl, and I'll always remember her fondly. But I need someone who offers a bit more...

BMax is a slapper with a plastic bag over its head that everyone is using for a one-night stand.

Well, I dunno that I'd put it exactly like that <g>. I'm thinking more like Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady. Right now, BMax is somewhat grubby and uncultured but with tons of potential. With some language lessons (and DX9 3D module), it should clean up roit noicely into a proper lady <g>.

My, could comparing languages to women be any geekier?! <g>

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#27]
Puki please have a little more respect for these forums. If you can't grow up then you're going to need to leave.