Intel Chipsets Crash My Game

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Intel Chipsets Crash My Game

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#1]
Grr.. After a few weeks of working on incompatibility issues, my game works properly on most cards. At least I've fixed all the reported glitches.

But since then the game has started crashing with a MAV on PC's using Intel on board chipsets. The earlier versions worked so this is definitely fixable.

I'm working on getting my hands on a laptop so I can sort this out but in the meantime is anyone aware of any specific issues with Intel chipsets? The debug info I'm getting back from testers isn't helping me.

H&K(Posted 2006) [#2]
1) They are rubbish
2) Ive experianced a lot of times when it drops into HEL, when it souldnt
3) They are well weird if you have certain desktop sizes. (No specifics) This is the one Id go for for the MAV. (Often, apparently, it wont make the screen, if its not desktopsize. And often again it doesnt like the screen and the desktop to exist at the same time.
4) They "Say" they are (for example) Hardware DX8. But then dont hardware accelerate DX7

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#3]
1) they are not rubbish. the older ones yes, but the newer ones are pretty good (for a laptop)

@JP: if you need betatesters with intel on board chipset - here i am ;)

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
1) No they are rubbish
The older ones were just as good/bad as the newer ones when compared to eaches respective market competitors at the time

Warren(Posted 2006) [#5]
Honestly, "for a laptop" doesn't cut it anymore. Laptops are used as daily work machines. They are just as powerful as desktops.

mongia2(Posted 2006) [#6]
excuse my english

if you use a writepixel fast 0
intel is a creash

i use a -256*256*256-1

mongia

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#7]
Not sure what you mean?

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#8]
Do you mean a zero value causes the crash?

Hmm.. that could be a problem for me.

Yan(Posted 2006) [#9]

RifRaf(Posted 2006) [#10]
John,

I may be able to help you with this, as I had to create support for intel cards on a commercial project not long ago. You can email me at GameMaker04@...

mongia2(Posted 2006) [#11]
in my game!

http://mongia.altervista.org/mnz_rome_058setup.zip

for intel is a pach

http://mongia.altervista.org/prova_059.rar

mongia

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#12]
h&k, i don't think you are right. i have i915gms, and i can play e.g. Flatout perfectly on it. No bugs, no graphic glitches. just like "real" chipsets... so tell me, is this a bad chipset?
but don't let us start a useless discussion just like INTEL/AMD, NVIDIA/ATI, Windows/Mac, Amiga/Atari, ... its too boring....

now back on topic.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#13]
Okay, found the problem.

This command:

fast_shadow_texture=LoadAnimTexture ("graphics\shadows.png",2+16+32,64,64,0,8)

Fails to load the texture on Intel chipsets.

If I remove the alpha flag it works (but obviously isn't right for my game).

Looks like I need to break it into separate textures rather than use LoadAnimTexture.

A pain, but at least I have a solution.

Paolo(Posted 2006) [#14]
Two simple things to test but... who knows? ...

-Did you try with the dot at the beginning of the path?
I mean ".\graphics\shadows.png"

-And, Did you try with the flags 1+2+16+32 instead of 2+16+32 ?

just a thought...

Paolo.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#15]
The path is fine. The texture fails to load if I set the alpha flag - the other flags don't make any difference.

RGR(Posted 2006) [#16]

Last edited 2012