Tutorials for new Blitz3D Manual

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tutorials for new Blitz3D Manual

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#1]
We're just putting together a new version of the Blitz3D printed manual. If any one would like to see themselves in print and has any quality tutorials they would like to submit for inclusion please email me.

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#2]
A new version of the B3D docs?
I thought everyone was pretty happy with those docs.. Is there something cool going on behind the scenes?

Also.. are the BMax docs getting a makeover too?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm pretty happy with the docs .. sure some functions are not detailed enough for beginners but why bother? I think most would prefer the time to be used on .. for example, Toms's renderworld() request a few months back so that we can implement stencil shadows :)

Stevie

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
We're just putting together a new version of the Blitz3D printed manual
Wait a minute... I thought development of Blitz3D was being wound down in favour of Blitzmax?

You producing a new boxed copy now??? Does that mean development will continue?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well, that's 3 answers to 'no' then. (4 now)

CodeGit(Posted 2006) [#6]
Good news. :)

semar(Posted 2006) [#7]
Good news indeed.

Skidracer, you've got mail.

Sergio.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#8]
I think we would all prefer better BlitzMax docs, rather than altering th B3d ones (which are ok).

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#9]
I would LOVE to see a printed manual... but for BMX!

And as most of the people I thought this has priority over b3d... :(

big10p(Posted 2006) [#10]
There was a guy on here with a pretty good website with tutorials on (arrays, types etc.), but... I can't remeber his (nick)name! :/ I think it began with a 'W'. Anyone else remember his name?

So, a new B3D manual, huh?! I never saw that one coming. I thought Blitz3D was going to be left to die in peace. What's going on? C'mon, spill the beans. :)

[edit] I've just remembered who it is: Wolron.
http://home.cmit.net/rwolbeck/programmingtutorial/index.htm

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#11]
Perhaps B3D get's a DX10 upgrade as well... :)

Why else make a new manual?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#12]
I too am agog, at the audasity that leads you to think that republishing an already good manual for B3D, should have priority over making ANY manual for BMax.

Make sure (when you do the B3d Manual), that that delta timing framework which was knocking about, is prominent,(Ie actualy discuss it in the manual)
Also if the manual is going to have appendix'es, try and see if you can get permission to reprint a scaled down version of that "OOP in B3D". I cannot for the life of me remember who wrote it. But some mention of "Faking" oop, or infact the whole tutorial, would be good

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#13]
GOOOD!!!! GOOOOOOD!!!!!

VERRRRRRRRRYYYYY GOOOOOOD!!!!

i'm glad to see this unexpected turn of events... and i hope that it does represent an impending upgrade of Blitz3D...

remember a thread, not too long ago, that posed the question about BMax being a such good idea at this time... or something like that...

remember...

:)

--Mike

wedoe(Posted 2006) [#14]
What we NEED is a real manual for BMX, B3D is surely
abandonware in a few years anyway...

Hujiklo(Posted 2006) [#15]
Oh my giddy aunt!

I am all a tremble....what cooketh within? Tis not roast pork methinks.

I daren't get my hopes up that BRL is sticking with B3D development as well as Bmax. Though it would be a very smart move in my completely uninformed opinion.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#16]
> B3D is surely abandonware in a few years anyway...

Wait till Vista comes out, then we'll be throwing pretty much everything away.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#17]
While blitzmax is the latest version of Blitz, that doesn't mean b3d is dead, or that it isn't the most purchased / used product in the BRL portfolio. Remember, the population of this forum is not necessarily equal to the total Blitz user base.

And a "final" update / tidy up / packaged release of Blitz3d does make some sense, particularly if tied to some promotional activity / sales opportunity in a particular market (e.g. opportunity to sell into the education sector).

If you only had to put in a relatively small amount of effort to update a manual in order to get a reasonable financial return, wouldn't you take it?

degac(Posted 2006) [#18]
My simple question: Mr Skidracer,Do you have so much free time to think to a printable version of Blitz3d?
Are there not other priorities?
From my point of view it's a waste of time....and resources.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#19]
> Are there not other priorities?

Yes, like more Friday after work drinks.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#20]
>From my point of view it's a waste of time....and >resources.

Considering you have no idea why this is happening your 'point of view' is pretty blinkered.

No wonder Mark & Simon don't post much on here when all this idiotic negativity comes up every time.

gosse(Posted 2006) [#21]