Tutorials for new Blitz3D Manual

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tutorials for new Blitz3D Manual

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#1]
We're just putting together a new version of the Blitz3D printed manual. If any one would like to see themselves in print and has any quality tutorials they would like to submit for inclusion please email me.

LarsG(Posted 2006) [#2]
A new version of the B3D docs?
I thought everyone was pretty happy with those docs.. Is there something cool going on behind the scenes?

Also.. are the BMax docs getting a makeover too?

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#3]
I'm pretty happy with the docs .. sure some functions are not detailed enough for beginners but why bother? I think most would prefer the time to be used on .. for example, Toms's renderworld() request a few months back so that we can implement stencil shadows :)

Stevie

GfK(Posted 2006) [#4]
We're just putting together a new version of the Blitz3D printed manual
Wait a minute... I thought development of Blitz3D was being wound down in favour of Blitzmax?

You producing a new boxed copy now??? Does that mean development will continue?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well, that's 3 answers to 'no' then. (4 now)

CodeGit(Posted 2006) [#6]
Good news. :)

semar(Posted 2006) [#7]
Good news indeed.

Skidracer, you've got mail.

Sergio.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#8]
I think we would all prefer better BlitzMax docs, rather than altering th B3d ones (which are ok).

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#9]
I would LOVE to see a printed manual... but for BMX!

And as most of the people I thought this has priority over b3d... :(

big10p(Posted 2006) [#10]
There was a guy on here with a pretty good website with tutorials on (arrays, types etc.), but... I can't remeber his (nick)name! :/ I think it began with a 'W'. Anyone else remember his name?

So, a new B3D manual, huh?! I never saw that one coming. I thought Blitz3D was going to be left to die in peace. What's going on? C'mon, spill the beans. :)

[edit] I've just remembered who it is: Wolron.
http://home.cmit.net/rwolbeck/programmingtutorial/index.htm

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#11]
Perhaps B3D get's a DX10 upgrade as well... :)

Why else make a new manual?

H&K(Posted 2006) [#12]
I too am agog, at the audasity that leads you to think that republishing an already good manual for B3D, should have priority over making ANY manual for BMax.

Make sure (when you do the B3d Manual), that that delta timing framework which was knocking about, is prominent,(Ie actualy discuss it in the manual)
Also if the manual is going to have appendix'es, try and see if you can get permission to reprint a scaled down version of that "OOP in B3D". I cannot for the life of me remember who wrote it. But some mention of "Faking" oop, or infact the whole tutorial, would be good

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#13]
GOOOD!!!! GOOOOOOD!!!!!

VERRRRRRRRRYYYYY GOOOOOOD!!!!

i'm glad to see this unexpected turn of events... and i hope that it does represent an impending upgrade of Blitz3D...

remember a thread, not too long ago, that posed the question about BMax being a such good idea at this time... or something like that...

remember...

:)

--Mike

wedoe(Posted 2006) [#14]
What we NEED is a real manual for BMX, B3D is surely
abandonware in a few years anyway...

Hujiklo(Posted 2006) [#15]
Oh my giddy aunt!

I am all a tremble....what cooketh within? Tis not roast pork methinks.

I daren't get my hopes up that BRL is sticking with B3D development as well as Bmax. Though it would be a very smart move in my completely uninformed opinion.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#16]
> B3D is surely abandonware in a few years anyway...

Wait till Vista comes out, then we'll be throwing pretty much everything away.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#17]
While blitzmax is the latest version of Blitz, that doesn't mean b3d is dead, or that it isn't the most purchased / used product in the BRL portfolio. Remember, the population of this forum is not necessarily equal to the total Blitz user base.

And a "final" update / tidy up / packaged release of Blitz3d does make some sense, particularly if tied to some promotional activity / sales opportunity in a particular market (e.g. opportunity to sell into the education sector).

If you only had to put in a relatively small amount of effort to update a manual in order to get a reasonable financial return, wouldn't you take it?

degac(Posted 2006) [#18]
My simple question: Mr Skidracer,Do you have so much free time to think to a printable version of Blitz3d?
Are there not other priorities?
From my point of view it's a waste of time....and resources.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#19]
> Are there not other priorities?

Yes, like more Friday after work drinks.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#20]
>From my point of view it's a waste of time....and >resources.

Considering you have no idea why this is happening your 'point of view' is pretty blinkered.

No wonder Mark & Simon don't post much on here when all this idiotic negativity comes up every time.

gosse(Posted 2006) [#21]
How about faked OOP tutorials? like the one I wrote:
http://gosse.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=programming&action=display&thread=1139843226

Hujiklo(Posted 2006) [#22]
Hey - nice tutorial . I'm grabbing this one for a read and a cup of tea. Thanks!

GfK(Posted 2006) [#23]
I too am agog, at the audasity that leads you to think that republishing an already good manual for B3D, should have priority over making ANY manual for BMax.
I take it you're oblivious to the fact that the only printed manual for Blitz3D is 32 versions/four years out of date? It doesn't even cover .B3D file format.

I think we would all prefer better BlitzMax docs, rather than altering th B3d ones (which are ok).
I doubt the people who are sticking with Blitz3D are going to agree with you.
What we NEED is a real manual for BMX, B3D is surely
abandonware in a few years anyway...
Since 'abandonware' is so-called because warezers grab it for free thinking there's nobody about to sue them any more, I doubt it.

Regular K(Posted 2006) [#24]
This is nice of skidracer. I hope they do this for BlitzMax though eventually :)

H&K(Posted 2006) [#25]

I take it you're oblivious to the fact that the only printed manual for Blitz3D is 32 versions/four years out of date? It doesn't even cover .B3D file format
I was making a joke. Come on GFK, when was the last time anyone you knew used the word "agog", and was serious?

Andy(Posted 2006) [#26]
Why not get in touch with Reda Borchardt as well. He made some interesting contributions.

Andy

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#27]
> No wonder Mark & Simon don't post much on here
> when all this idiotic negativity comes up every time.

*cough* 178th :)

Vorderman(Posted 2006) [#28]
So come on, ignore all the rubbish about B3D being dead - can you tell us why a new manual is being produced Simon?

puki(Posted 2006) [#29]
NEW BLITZ3D PRINTED MANUAL!!!

Anyone else reading this thread naked?

Oh god - first I see new RPG character models to buy, then I see Aliencodec's site back up, today I dismantled (in frenzied excitement) my first hard-drive, now I see this thread.

I swear I am going to wet the bed tonight.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#30]
> Anyone else reading this thread naked?

I'm half naked, does that count?

> I swear I am going to wet the bed tonight.

White or yellow?

Barnabius(Posted 2006) [#31]
How much will this new manual cost? Will it be available for download in pdf form for those who are not interested in destroying more trees?

Barney

Hotcakes(Posted 2006) [#32]
Is there something cool going on behind the scenes?

Doubt it. The best time to produce a physical manual is when a product is finalised, set in stone and nothing will be changed. Although I was assuming BMax would become their new 'flagship product' when Max3D came out... maybe this means Max3D is further away from completion than I thought... maybe I should change my sig to Xmas '07 ;]

puki(Posted 2006) [#33]
Mmm, if nobody submits anything - you could nick ideas from Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Tutorials - http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/topics.php?forum=88&page=1.

Also, as well as tutorials I think it would be good to put in tips/FAQ's as well - like these ones: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=39205

puki(Posted 2006) [#34]
Submit your tutorials - mother says.

RGR(Posted 2006) [#35]

Last edited 2012

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#36]
negative posting yet again.
no offense, but if someone is thinking of joining this community, and has a wee look at these forums..the
attitudes of some people may very well put them off.

- Anyway, i think i have some docs sitting round somewhere,
- more like notes...but i reckon i could spend a little time,
- putting something together...its a small price to pay for
- all the free b3d updates i have recieved..

Anyway this is all good news...

puki(Posted 2006) [#37]
It would also be an opportune time to finish the manual - there are still quite a few command statements with no demonstration.

As an example:
LinePick ( x#,y#,z#,dx#,dy#,dz#[,radius#] )
Parameters:
x# - x coordinate of start of line pick
y# - y coordinate of start of line pick
z# - z coordinate of start of line pick
dx# - distance x of line pick
dy# - distance y of line pick
dz# - distance z of line pick
radius (optional) - radius of line pick
Description:
Returns the first entity between x,y,z to x+dx,y+dy,z+dz.

See also: EntityPick, LinePick, CameraPick, EntityPickMode.

Potentially, for a new user, this is basically telling them that Blitz3D has feature that we (BRL) don't know how to use.

Let's be honest, many people were, and possibly still are, confused by this command. Many people made the initial mistake of thinking that dx#,dy#,dz# where the destination cordinates of the pick.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#38]
I don't see why people would get confused with LinePick params. It clearly states that dx/dy/dz refer to 'distance', whereas x/y/z refer to 'coordinates'. Plus, the description clearly states the end of the linepick is 'x+dx,y+dy,z+dz'. A simple code example wouldn't hurt, though.

Russell(Posted 2006) [#39]
Still, the point is well taken that if any of BRL's products need a manual update, it surely has to be BMax, rather than B3D.

But this dead horse has been beaten into oblivion already....

Russell

puki(Posted 2006) [#40]
Hurrah!

Behold, the brand new PRINTED Blitz3D Programming Manual:

http://www.lulu.com/content/388950

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#41]
Indeed!!! Tho, clicking the link gave me a blank product page, however, using the search form with "blitz3d" brings up the manual product page. Looks nice. Nice new haircut, Mark. (Or who's that?) :o)

I guess it should be listed under products here as well.