Poly Count

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Poly Count

Grovesy(Posted 2006) [#1]
I know the answer to this question is really "How long is a piece of string" or "The fewer the better" but i wanted to get a general idea on numbers.

The question is: roughtly how many ploygons should I use for the characters in my game? I guess what I am really asking is: on average what sort of polygon count do you guys use in your games?

I know this also depends on other things like the number of characters on screen and other object. But if you guys could just let me know what sort of count you use for your main character models that would be great.

Cheers

H&K(Posted 2006) [#2]
It realy does all depend ;)

One of the things it depends on, is how fast is your computer

If its you main character in a FPS, then NONE (hahahah)
If is your main character in a TFP, then as many as you can. (Too be honest I donot know how many the models Ive downloaded are)

puki(Posted 2006) [#3]
The RPG animated stuff that I have bought have ranged from 1,356 to 1,746 tris.

http://www.basilstudio.com/
http://www.cubixstudio.com/

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#4]
Current top Triple-A games have around 6000-8000 triangels (with normal maps etc) per lead charcter, I'd use 4000-6000 triangles in Blitz3D FPS game easily. Current HW has no problems with this and because Blitz3D doesn't have normal maps you'll need to use geometry to get the detail (for good looking game).

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#5]
i think 2k tris per character is enough. depends on the amount of character of course. if you plan to add 64 or more players, then sou have to go down with polycount. if you just have a 2 character-game (like tekken, barbarian, ...) you could easily use 8000 or even more tris. on turbosquid i've seen 2k poly models, which look really good.

Jams(Posted 2006) [#6]
Depends on the circumstances. Lets say, for arguments sake, you were making an RTS style game, where the characters were going to be pretty small on screen, and mostly seen from the top. You could probably get away with about 800 polys per character ;)

Defoc8(Posted 2006) [#7]
personally id keep it as low as possible...if its an rts game,
use md2 models - they maybe bloaty - but the animation
is much simpler..and the polycounts are usually very low
to keep file sizes reasonable.
If its an fps game - sure, use bone based b3d's - but you
should lod your meshes..probably quite heavily too...i havent
tested b3d character models - well in a scene anyway.

typical game characters in indie projects - fps - 2k polys..well
probably between 1k and 2k.. - check out some content
packs.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#8]
..game few guys and me developing contain characters 2.5K, MOCAP driven, and things going well, considering that nVidia 5600FX will be minimum required HW in moment we lounch game..

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#9]
It also depends who you want to sell the game too. If your aiming for the casual gamer, then they won't have as high expectations, or as powerful computer as an intensive gamer.

Xception(Posted 2006) [#10]
1500 to 2500 triangles should be enough if you can make good textures.

Rroff(Posted 2006) [#11]
LOD... I normally go for about 5-8K on important characters for the close up model and about 1K on longer distance models, for models that I'm going to have a lot of on screen I try to get 200-800 polys on the long distance version of the mesh and 1-2K on the close up one.