Animations without using mesh deform?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Animations without using mesh deform?

Vertigo(Posted 2006) [#1]
Remember older 3d games animation that used like one model made out of random seperate children that were blocks or cylinders? Like the older resident evil games? Is there a system for creating animations like this that anyone knows of? I was writing an animation editor a while back, but it got too insane for me to finish. Thanks guys.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#2]
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but any program that is capable of animating a single mesh (skinned) will have no problem animating individual objects. After all, the bones inside the skin are animated that way.

If you are trying to do it all with code I can't help much. Being an artist/animator, I would do everything in an existing animation program to bring into Blitz.

KuRiX(Posted 2006) [#3]
You can use any software that exports to b3d or directx to do that. You just create your models as separate meshes, and animate them using keyframes, then export to 3ds or .x and import them in blitz3d.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
You can even use software that exports to 3DS as this is the type of animation supported on it: keyframe based transformation matrix transformed meshes.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2006) [#5]
every 3d app known man can do it the way you ask if it has animation capabilities ie milkshape, studio max, lightwave etc.

Vertigo(Posted 2006) [#6]
OH holy cow, maybe I should have been more specific. Yes I know how to model.. Im more of a graphics designer than I am a programmer. Allow me to rephrase this.. I was to create lets say an entire object out of cubes. And parent them to the top. This will all be done with coding NO .3ds .x or anything just numbers and blitz. Ok so there are objects like left_hand parented to left_forearm yeah ok.. so I want to have EVERY character in my rpg have the same children names, so I can make like maybe 50 animation sequences and apply them to EVERY and ANY character I make(as long as they have those children names). And in each animation file is the postion, rotation, and scale of each of the objects... this I can do, and have done with types... however; I have no idea how to really animate these or put them to practice. I was using interpolations between keyframes and it looked really well, but its just too slow and illogical to use my previous method in a real time enviroment. So does anyone know of a system that already exists? Maybe some code, or atleast ideology or doing something like this correctly?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2006) [#7]
is this any use?

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Function Copy_AnimSeq(source,target,anim)

If Not source Return 0
If Not target Return 0

SetAnimTime source,1,anim

frames = AnimLength(source)

For fr = 0 To frames
 SetAnimTime source,fr,anim
 Setup_Frames(source,target,fr)		
Next

anim = AddAnimSeq(target,frames)

Return anim 

End Function
;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Function Setup_Frames(source,target,fr)

If Not source Return -1
If Not target Return -1

ChildCount = CountChildren(source)

If ChildCount

For i = 1 To ChildCount
 SourceChild = GetChild(source,i)

If Not SourceChild
	DebugLog "child does not exist SourceChild "+i
 Else

If EntityClass(SourceChild) = "Pivot"

TargetChild = FindChild(target,EntityName(SourceChild))

If TargetChild

RotateEntity TargetChild,EntityPitch(SourceChild),EntityYaw(SourceChild),EntityRoll(SourceChild)
				SetAnimKey TargetChild,fr

EndIf
	EndIf

EndIf

Setup_Frames(SourceChild,target,fr)

Next

EndIf

End Function

I do something similar for all my baseentities to use the same animations but only have one set of animations created

Iamhere(Posted 2006) [#8]
as example you can do that with Wings3D
make legs seperatly and put them in the body of your figure
then load them in an animation editor
you can use AnimB3D (convert .3ds with decorator in .b3d before) or Pacemaker or others
set your Bones and animate them.
The ant on psionic's side is made like that.

But I think you can animate the legs separatly and put them
together with an animated body, but I have not tested.