Can blitz start with no Mouse?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Can blitz start with no Mouse?

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#1]
We are trying to build an embedded console with no keyboard or mouse. The program written in blitz only seems to run if a mouse is attached, (the compiled program that is). Is there a way round this?

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#2]
something like this was asked here but as far as i can see there has been no answer, t3k is still waiting for brl to respond

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
Meanwhile it may work with a mouse emulator, some kind of a driver that allows to use eg. the keyboard to control the mouse. Maybe this one works:
http://www.geocities.com/pronto4u/mouseemulator.html

ok you said "no keyboard", so this could be a problem. Maybe you can configure the bios as well as windows to ignore the lack of a keyboard.

Then again I ask myself how you want to control the console - by a game port?

Rroff(Posted 2006) [#4]
Usually the console will be controlled remotely either by feeding it commands via the network interface or by using remote desktop or VNC type applications to display and control the desktop on a different machine.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#5]
yupp. thats exactly the way i control my gameserver. and without keyboard blitz runs fine... its just the mouse that is making all the trouble.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#6]
This is a nasty problem right now, weve tried software driven 'null' mice but no joy. I guess blitz looks directly at the hardware port.

At the moment we have got the team cracking open cheap mice and just sealing the circutry in potting compound, then gluing it on the back.

Annoying and expensive.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#7]
I think blitz is using the directx input driver for the mouse. I think I remember there was a command to alter the source of the mouse something with "InputDevice", but I don't remember the command correctly. anyone?

partialy matching searchstrings in the online manual would be nice.

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#8]
Good idea, jfk - I think that's EnableDirectInput True/False, and it's not in the docs AFAIK. I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it... I believe this dates from around 1.79, for which the version notes state:
Mouse and Keyboard input are no longer DirectInput based, and now just use
standard Windows messages. This has come about due to a few reports from end-
users of games written in Blitz who have suffered mouse/keyboard lockups.

I think that "EnableDirectInput True" goes back to the old behavior.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#9]
EnableDirectInput does not fix the problem. Fact is, blitz is aborting before even one line of blitzcode is executed. i hope that mark has a fix for this.

EDIT:

On WinXP it works perfectly without a mouse. I only have this problem on Win2000.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
Sorry, shoulda have known. (It also aborts when you don't select a Graphics mode?)

When it acts diffrently on an other OS then I guess it must be a directX version problem. I just tried it on a win98 with dx7: after hot-unplugging the mouse I can still run a "waitkey()" oneliner.