Community Lightcycles project?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Community Lightcycles project?

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#1]
Would be nice to whip up a 3D Lightcycles game for Blitz3D. I'm down for some modeling and researching sound effects and whatnot.

Post here if you're interested. I have nothing but time on my hands since graduating college!

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#2]
Started working on the models.

EDIT: Here's the finished light cycle. It's not perfect but it will definitely do the job.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
There's a lighcycle demo in the Blitz3D samples... somewhere.

splinux(Posted 2006) [#4]
@big10p: I think you mean 'samples/mak/tron/tron.bb'

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#5]
Now to start working on the tank and recognizer models.

Does anyone have the snippet of code for making the glowing texture lines?

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#6]
Recognizer done. On to the tank!

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#7]
I would like to help with this, but I have never played this game. Any explanations or links to a demo?

SoggyP(Posted 2006) [#8]
Hello.

This kinda sums it up.

http://www.cybermonkey.jp/html/game/swron/

Goodbye.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#9]
SoggyP, that version really sucks imo lol. My suggestion blitznerd is to sit down and watch tron. That's what I'm going to do later tonight to refamiliarize myself with it.

Anyone have any of that code that makes the glow effect for textures btw? I've seen it done in blitz3d...

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#10]
So tron is a movie as well as a game?

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#11]
O_o

Yes, it's a movie as well as a game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_(movie)

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#12]
Check out armagetron for a good version. Be sure to download the moviepack.

http://armagetronad.net/downloads.php

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#13]
Top fun is Armagetron. :o) Highly recommended. Especially with the movie pack.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#14]

So tron is a movie as well as a game?

You must have beamed down just recently... :O

It's just THE film that started cgi use in films, sort of über classic that every geek knows just as well as their pac-mans and space invaders... oh, and yes, Tron is a game too. In fact there must be dozens of them but Tron 2.0 was the Triple-A title.

Sorry for ranting but I just got so flabbergasted :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#15]
...sort of über classic that every geek knows...

See now there's the problem. If he was blitzgeek he would have known. :o)

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#16]
Sorry, but I am kind of young, I don't think I was born when it was made. My family doesn't watch many movies, and I only started using a computer about a year and a half ago. Realy, the only computer games I have ever played are Earth Worm Jim, Breakout, a packman game I made (I have never played a real one, I made mine from my friends descriptions), and some demos I have found on this website.

I should probably go play some games before I make them, but I have already made a few and my friends who play computer games a lot seem to like mine just fine, so I have never realy seen the need to go play other peoples.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#17]

Sorry, but I am kind of young

You must have beamed down just recently... :O

Same thing :)

Anyways, playing games a lot is not that important - if other people like your stuff you're doing something right. Playing games just cripples you mentally and soon you start making clones about games you play (ie FPS games because there isn't anything else on the market anymore)... with less actual (quite boring) game playing experience you might invent something original.

Nicstt(Posted 2006) [#18]
with less actual (quite boring) game playing experience you might invent something original.

agree.

Besides playing games takes too much time away from other stuff.

I manage two hours a week at the most.

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#19]
Earlier, people mensioned the "register" and the "tank", I don't think I saw those in either of the games that were posted above. What are they?

Oh, and same thing with the disks I have seen in other threads.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#20]
Go. Rent. The movie.

Then it will All Make Sense.

(or you could at least check out that wiki entry I linked to above - that explains them too)