Change lightmap texture.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Change lightmap texture.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#1]
I am currently working on a game where i need to be able to show the lightmap texture, then hide it. I need to do this everyframe. What would be the quickest way to do this? I figure i have a few options:

1. Create an identical scene, one with a lightmap and one without. Since i'll be instancing the whole scene, it shouldn't take up that much more memory.

2. I go through every entity in view of the camera, and texture each one with a blank lightmap (127,127,127)

3. er... well, i did say i only had a few ;o)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
No.1 would definately be the quickest out of the 2.

Only other solution I can think of would be to hold a master copy and a blank lightmap and copyrect alternately onto the lightmap texture. I'd imagine your lightmap is pretty big so probably too slow.

Stevie

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
Well, the plan here is, to make a fps torch. I have a full bright scene and a scene which is dark and only light comes from the light sources. Everything else will be shrouded in darkness. Now:

I render the lightmapped scene, then copy this to a texture. Then, render the fullbright scene, and overlay a special mesh, textured with the lightmapped scene. This mesh has alpha so the middle is see through. Therefore you can see the full bright scene below, as if it's a torch light.

Grey means non see-through. White means completely see-through.

The point of rendering the lightmapped scene, is so you can get lights that glow in the dark, seperate of the torch light.

Jams(Posted 2006) [#4]
"i need to be able to show the lightmap texture, then hide it. I need to do this everyframe"

Show = 5 - Show
TextureBlend( Lightmap, Show )
;Adjust 5 with the blending mode your lightmap uses (perhaps Multiply).

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#5]
So, zero disables the texture from blending? NICE!

Jams(Posted 2006) [#6]
That's what i'm lead to believe from the docs, although i can't test it

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yep, it works. Thanks man, you've saved me alot of hassle! Nice one!