Connecting DirectPlay

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Connecting DirectPlay

Regeneratez(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hey guys, Ive been itchin my head for several years on this problem, I used to code in dbpro (dont tell me about it :/ ) but I havn't been able to connect to my direct play game.

So heres the very basic, I code the command:

' OnlineConnection = StartNetGame() '

A Start Multiplayer Game menu pops up.

Now, What I do is click on ' Internet TCP/IP Connection For DirectPlay '

A Locate Session Pop Up Comes Up.

So, I click ok to automatically find my ip address, and use it to host the game, afterwards it says <No games found>

So I type a game name, then click ' Create New Game'

Now I am in my game.

Right I have done all this through my AOL BroadBand, WIth Firewall On, Execept Execptions from programs, so I know people can connect to my computer because I currently have FTP, Counter Strike games running on it (Yup lol I know I shouldnt )

So, now with that game currently online, I go to my other BroadBand connection (Tiscali UK), and used the excat same code above....

When it asks to locate the session host, I type my IP address from my AOL BroadBand, where the game is being hosted from, which I got the IP Address at PortForwarding
( http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm )

However, when I type this IP address out, it does not find the session game I have already hosted.....

Is it possible I am looking at the wrong IP Address ?, or is it possible that when I start a game, its finding my computer name instead of its ip address...

I believe im suppose to type out my external IP address... which I did..

AOL BroadBand is on its own connection (Modem)
Tiscali UK is on a router

AOL is hosting TCP/IP
Tiscali is finding that host

Could anyone possibly help me, coz its been agess since I have tried to get this to work before with dbpro and never figured out why.... and would like to use BlitzBasic ^^

I apperciate any help, honiestly, thank you for reading my boring topic .. hehe......

Take Care

Scherererer(Posted 2006) [#2]
don't type in the ip into the box for the other one either, just let it connect automatically. If that doesn't work, are you running it on two different computers linked by a router? if so, try typing in your local ip into the box instead of your external one. By default the first computer should be 192.168.0.100, then .101, .102, etc.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#3]
it depends. here it's 192.168.0.2 and higher for the pcs and 192.168.0.1 is the routers local IP.
WIth Firewall On, Execept Execptions from programs, so I know people can connect to my computer because I currently have FTP, Counter Strike games running on it

Make sure your firewall is configured correctly. CS may use a port that is enabled by default, while your game may use port numbers that are blocked by default.

You may test it when your firewall is deactivated temporarily. So you'll see if it's the cause.

Regeneratez(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply.... ..

I currently had a look at BlitzCoder BlitzPlay, and I have sucessfully managed to connect and play the game through the IP address....

So I guess I'll try and learn by that.

However I was thinking of buying the wholre source code for advance networking, but seems that the guy who made the code no longer is around doing it anymore or something :/

But Thank You for your time.

Much Appericated!