Smoothing out waypoints

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Smoothing out waypoints

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#1]
I need a little help with waypoints. I know how to create them and have a program that allows me to place waypoints, via mouseclicks, which my objects then move along but what I really need to know is how I can smooth out this movement as currently my objects are travelling in straight lines. What I would like to do in my editor is have an option to switch between straight lines and curved ones but using the same waypoints. BTW this is purely in 2D despite me using Blitz3D.

Thanks for any help. I`m looking for the easiest solution possible but fear it could get complicated.

Jason.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
What would work well here are bezier curves. Basically, quadratic interpolation between 3 or 4 control points. If you look in the archives there are a number of examples where a curved line is drawn through multiple waypoints.

EDIT .. here's a good one ..
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1489

Stevie

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#3]
What you could do, is place an image, or pixel image, or just even x and y co-ords, and make it traverse the waypoints first. Then, just behind that, make your main image/character/whatever, follow the image, always pointing in it's direction. It should smoothly travel along the waypoints.

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#4]
Try this:

; **** 2D waypoint editor, modified. Original Code by Ross C *****
; ****                 Modified code by Ross C               *****
; ****     create smooth transitions between way points      *****

Graphics 800,600
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

Global max_path_points=100

Dim pathx#(max_path_points-1); set up 101 path points
Dim pathy#(max_path_points-1); -1 because arrays start at zero

Global path_counter=-1
Global current_path=0
Global cx#=0
Global cy#=0
Global ex#=400
Global ey#=100
Global movement_started=0

While Not KeyHit(1)
	Cls

If MouseHit(1) Then
			setpath(MouseX(),MouseY()); set path point with the mouses current coords
	End If

If KeyHit(57) And movement_started=0 And path_counter>0 Then; if spacebar pressed then move rectangle
		current_path=0; reset the current path to 0
		cx=pathx(0); set the rectangles coords to the first path point
		cy=pathy(0)
		movement_started=1; set flag for movement started
		ex=400
		ey=100
	End If
	If KeyHit(28) Then; if the enter key is pressed then stop movement
		movement_started=0; clear flag for movement
		cx=pathx(0); set rectangle coords to the first path point
		cy=pathy(0)
		current_path=-1; set current path to none exsistant
	End If

draw_path_points(); function for drawing the pathpoints
	If movement_started=1 Then move(); draw the moving rectangle and move it
	Color 200,200,200; set drawing color
	Rect MouseX()-1,MouseY()-1,2,2; draw mouse location with a rectangle
	Text 0,0,"Click mouse to set path point. Press spacebar to start animation. Press enter to stop."
	Text 0,10,"movement started="+movement_started
	Flip
Wend
End

Function move()
	ang#=0
	If current_path<path_counter Then; make sure the current path point is less than the highest
		ang=ATan2(pathy(current_path+1)-pathy(current_path),pathx(current_path+1)-pathx(current_path))
		;/\ basically means find the angle between the current path point and the next one /\
		cx=cx+Cos(ang)*3; increase the x coord of the rect following the path points based on the angle
		cy=cy+Sin(ang)*3; increase the y coord of the rect following the path points based on the angle
		Color 100,200,100; change drawing color
		Rect cx-3,cy-3,6,6; draw the rectangle central to it's coords
		If Abs(cx-pathx(current_path+1))<2 And Abs(cy-pathy(current_path+1))<2 Then
			; /\ if the rects coords are with a 1 pixel distance of the path point then /\
			current_path=current_path+1; increase the current path point number
			cx=pathx(current_path); set the rectangles coords to that of the next path point
			cy=pathy(current_path)
		End If
	End If
	angle=ATan2( cy - ey, cx - ex ); find the angl between the enemies and the waypoint follower
	dist=Sqr( (ex-cx)*(ex-cx)+(ey-cy)*(ey-cy) ); find the distance between them
	DebugLog dist
	ex=ex+(Cos(angle)/1)*(dist/30); move the enemy at speed relative to the distance
	ey=ey+(Sin(angle)/1)*(dist/30); move the enemy at speed relative to the distance
	Rect ex-15,ey-15,30,30; draw the enemy
End Function

Function setpath(x,y)
	path_counter=path_counter+1; increase counter
        If path_counter>max_path_points-1 Then; if counter is higher than the available number of path points then set it back
               path_counter=max_path_points-1
        Else; else 
	       pathx(path_counter)=x; record the x and y positions
	       pathy(path_counter)=y
        End If
End Function

Function draw_path_points()
	For loop=0 To path_counter; loop through all the path points
		Color 100,100,200
		Rect pathx(loop),pathy(loop),2,2
		If loop<path_counter Then; do this loop while the loop value is less than the highest path value
			Rect pathx(loop+1)-1,pathy(loop+1)-1,2,2; draw a rectangle at the path point so its central
			Color 50,50,150; change drawing color
			Line pathx(loop),pathy(loop),pathx(loop+1),pathy(loop+1); draw a line between the current point and the next one
		End If
	Next
End Function

QuickSilva(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks guys, two very different yet both good ways of doing things. Thanks also Ross C for taking the time to provide a demo, much appreciated.

Jason.