direct chat prog

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/direct chat prog

Scherererer(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm trying to send direct messages using UDP from computer to computer. I don't want it to pass through a server computer, instead I want it to link directly to another IP to interact with. I don't want to use direct play. I have experience in networking, etc, i just haven't written a network program before, but I do know how most of it works, so don't dumb down the explanations of why this fails to operate. This is what I have so far:

The part that uses CommandLine$() and the loadClients() things split up dotted ip addresses in the command line for every client. I'm just using ",127.0.0.1" for testing. The comma has to be before every ip for it to work. The idea behind the command line parameters is that i could then create each instance as a "chat window" that could be loaded from a master program thing. You may have to open up port 7000 in your firewall for it to work.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
and what is your question?

Scherererer(Posted 2006) [#3]
why isn't it working? :)

[edit]never mind, figured it out[/edit]

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hi tainted, so what resolved your issue ?

Scherererer(Posted 2006) [#5]
it was a problem with the streams, i was thinking of it too much like a file stream and was trying to use it like one, as i tried to use the same stream for every communicae. But anyway, i got it working, and was able to successfully communicate between two computers, and then i cleaned it up and re-applied it to my fps. I haven't had much time to work on the fps, but it is getting there.