FAO Skid <bump>

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/FAO Skid <bump>

Tom(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi Skid, a while back you said you'd give this a look:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53297#595576

In brief, can you please allow creation of mipmaps when using the 256 flag?

I can't think of a good enough reason not to add it :)

If added, users just need to be aware mipmapped textures are about 20% bigger than non-mipmapped, not that they wouldn't know this anyway.

Thanks
Tom

p.s here's the reason I'd like to see it in. You can use the LOD Bias in DX7 to force rendering of submips, i.e, a fast, cheap blur!

Top is with 256 flag, 200fps, bottom using the mipmap blur trick on the shadows, but texture is in system memory and I get about 7fps!

And last but not least, these shadows use TexGen to automatically apply a projected texture matrix, very fast!, only possible because of the extra DirectX functionality you added... so good things come from expanding Blitz3D!

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#2]
Definitely worth a <bump>.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#3]
Amazing shadows.

Am I right in assuming that I have missed something big and amazing with this "extra texture functionality" added by skidracer himself?

RGR(Posted 2006) [#4]
As Mr. Picklesworth said ... amazing
This looks better than Tomb Raider Legend and Oblivion and Futuremark and ...
How is it done with B3D?

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#5]

and Futuremark

I strongly disagree, but I'm biased ;P

mipmapped textures are about 20% bigger than non-mipmapped

I think it's actually 33% (1.33 x the base high lod image) but that's nitpicking :) Nice shadows by the way!

Difference(Posted 2006) [#6]
A-freakin'-mazing. We should all be doing this.

Please give the man what ever he want's, this really looks like it has potential.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#7]
yeah, looks amazing....

Tom(Posted 2006) [#8]
RaGr: It uses TexGen to automatically create projected UVs for all meshes drawn.

It's just a matter of offsetting a texture matrix so that the projection is from the lights point of view.