FPS tester

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/FPS tester

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi folks. I am hoping to implement a FPS tester into some code which is some way down the development path. I have some ideas about how to implement the FPS tester into the code, however I have some concerns about using the text command. I've read on the forums that using the 'text x,y,"Blahhh..." command can cause slow ups within Blitz3D when you are also rendering up to 40 3D entities. Is there an easy way around using the text command or are my concerns that the text command will in effect 'corrupt' my fps tester unfounded ?

regards -

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
Drawing alot of text on screen will produce a major slowdown on some systems. I think displaying just the FPS in the top corner shouldn't cause you any issues though.

Stevie

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#3]
cheers Stevie.......

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#4]
I agree with Stevie G. After your UpdateWorld and Renderworld are executed, then overlay that completed 3D scene with the Text command, and you shouldn't have any problems. If for whatever reason you need to put a LOT of text on-screen, then you might want to use bitmap letters instead of print/text.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks again, I managed to locate snippet of code from coders workshop which works a treat :-

;--------------------------------------------------------------
;fps checker routine

fpschecker=fpschecker+1
If MilliSecs()>fpstimer+1000
fpstimer=MilliSecs()
fps=fpschecker
fpschecker=0
EndIf
Color 100,100,100

Text 200,200,"FPS:=" + fps
Flip

;end of fps timer