LoadSprite Not Working

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/LoadSprite Not Working

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#1]
When I test my particle code with my older machine, LoadSprite works fine. When I try to test it on my newer machine (and my friends new machine, too), LoadSprite doesn't actually do anything and I get an "entity does not exist" error on compiles when it comes to my particle entity. Even the compiled EXE has the same problem. My old computer runs it like a champ, the new computers bombs out with memory access violation (due to the unloaded entity trying to be used). Any idea why this might be happening?

My new graphics card is a GeForce 7800 GT OC (256 MB) from BFG (I had a FX5200 in my old computer), and I have the most up to date drivers with it.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#2]
Make sure all the sprite textures (or each frame) are a pow2 square and I bet it works. :)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#3]
yeah, also VERY useful for getting sharplooking textures... especially for HUDs... pow2 square is your friend ;)

Yan(Posted 2006) [#4]
Besides it being good practice to always use ^2 textures anyway, I thought this had been fixed.

What version are you using, Tyler?

big10p(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well, blitz is supposed to resize textures to pow2. For the most part, this seems to work, however, it seems it doesn't work with some newer GFX cards, for whatever reason. So, it may not be a problem solveable by blitz, I'm not sure.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#6]
I hate to say this but "entity does not exist" is usually my clue to the fact that the path does not exist.
Especially since you're moving to a machine other than the one you coded on, you will need to print-to-screen the full filepath that you are asking LoadSprite to use.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#7]
All the other art loads up using the same path structure, so it's odd that this particular one doesn't. I resized it, and Blitz runs now ... but I don't see them in game now, and some of my texture are missing, too (all resized to pow2 as well).

Yan(Posted 2006) [#8]
@big10p - Please don't talk down to me, it isn't appreciated. I know perfectly well how B3D's texture management works, thank you. As I've previously stated, the non power of 2 texture bug on post 6x nVidia cards was meant to have been fixed in version 1.88.

@Tyler - Are you using v1.88 or later? I think there was some other texture weirdness (it may well have been vertex stuff, I forget) which has been addressed in later updates.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#9]
@big10p - Please don't talk down to me, it isn't appreciated. I know perfectly well how B3D's texture management works, thank you. As I've previously stated, the non power of 2 texture bug on post 6x nVidia cards was meant to have been fixed in version 1.88.
What? I wasn't talking down to you, or anyone, for that matter. I was simply stating that some people are still having problems with non-pow2 textures, judging from what I've read on these forums.

I've read my post again and really can't see how you took offence to it. Sorry if you see it that way - it wasn't my intention. Makes me wonder how many other people I've offended with my posts, over the years. :/

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hmm, I didn't notice anything offensive about big10p's post earlier and I still can't see it now. He doesn't trample over people like that, not that I've ever witnessed anyway.

I think you may have got a little too hysterical there Hamish ;)

Yan(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hmm...The end of a bad morning at the end of a bad week and you bore the brunt of it, Big10p. 8o/

Sorry about that, now that I read it again, I did over react a bit. ;o)

That's quite unlike me too, I have to say.

If we ever meet, I'll give you a big sloppy kiss to make up for it... ;o)

big10p(Posted 2006) [#12]
Er, it's fine... no kiss necessary. :P

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#13]
Hmm, maybe it's because I'm using 1.87? I didn't notice a 1.88 ... I'll try that out and report back.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#14]
Ok, using the new version, all my sprites are still missing and it seems that my level loads differently than it did before, but at least all the textures are there, and no compile errors :(