Legality of using the Blitz3D demo

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Legality of using the Blitz3D demo

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#1]
While I am coding for my current project, I have artists and testers also adding input all the time.

Now that the project and files are becoming rather large for download, and it's still in the infant stage where many of the basic "include" files are all being changed, would it be legally acceptable for me just to host the updated .bb files, allowing my artists etc. the ability to compile and test them out purely to check their own media input using the Blitz demo?

Because they are mostly not coders themselves, it woul;d be unlikely they would invest in a full purchase, especially considering it's a non-profit, open-source project.

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#2]
Your source code is your own property. You can distribute it as you choose.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#3]
You may encounter problems, though, since AFAIK the demo is version 1.67, and a lot has changed since then.

n8r2k(Posted 2006) [#4]
actually the demo is on 1.83 but there have still been some major changes since then.

octothorpe(Posted 2006) [#5]
If you didn't store media-specific constants in source code, you wouldn't have this problem. Loading all your media from disk means that you can send your artists a compiled executable that they can plug artwork into.

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#6]
Ideally, evenually, that will be the format, however ALL The media is being updated simultaneously, including sprites, meshes and music, so the latest media will still need to be downloaded for overall effect. Eventually, once the main basics are complete, then yeah, just the source files or exe's can be distributed.