Reflective water problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Reflective water problem

ckob(Posted 2006) [#1]
Im not sure whats causing this but I wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas. The island reflects to much or something see how it has a longer reflection then it should.

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#2]
The "sun"'s not high enough?

ckob(Posted 2006) [#3]
its a reflection not a shadow and there isnt a sun :P

DJWoodgate(Posted 2006) [#4]
To use an old nautical expression, maybe it has something to do with the angle of the dangle, as Long John Silver oft used to say. Anyhow how are you making this reflection. Give a clue, you know X marks the spot, that sort of thing.

Sweenie(Posted 2006) [#5]
How much of the island is under the water surface?
I've seen similiar effects on objects positioned to low into the reflection plane.
[img /]

ckob(Posted 2006) [#6]
yeah that is the problem im currently playing with it now to try and fix it.

_PJ_(Posted 2006) [#7]
Heh - that was posted at 1am - sorry - bit tired.

I still havent got any ideas :(

Sweenie(Posted 2006) [#8]
Don't know how you render the reflection, but the solution in Ogre was to add a clippingplane to the camera which simply cuts away anything below the reflectionplane.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#9]
yeah... that's most likely it, part of the island is below the water... i had to insert an algorithm to hide the sub models and show a different mesh (only the top half of the sub) during the cubemapping 'capture' in order to avoid this sorta thing...

--Mike

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#10]
you can solve the issue with careful programming and the DX7test DLL by Tom.

I'm a tad busy at work at the mo, But I'll post working screenshots and if i get time later, explain it.

[edit]
Couldn't find the screenies :(

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#11]
Don't know how you render the reflection, but the solution in Ogre was to add a clippingplane to the camera which simply cuts away anything below the reflectionplane.

Slick! I'm guessing this would solve the problem for cubemap reflections where objects are intersecting (eg. Red's sub.)

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#12]
Um, how do you add a clippingplane?

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#13]
I don't think Blitz does it automagically, but don't fear!
There's a really fast clipping plane demo in the code archives which I have always wanted to put to use.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1143