Japanese localisation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Japanese localisation

@rtur(Posted 2006) [#1]
Had anyone localised their Blitz3D games into Japanese?

popcade(Posted 2006) [#2]
It seems Blitz3D doesn't support double-byte character set, or I didn't made it successfully...

BlitzMax(well it's not related to B3D I know), have limited UTF-16 support currently, it's promised to have full unicode compatibility soon(like you can use a unicode string directly in BMX apps), it's another story.

Pinete(Posted 2006) [#3]
People have been asking for that during years...
but not, it is not possible as yoxola pointed previously...
However, if you discover the way in which you could do that, please share!

regards,

big10p(Posted 2006) [#4]
Are you telling me you guys speak Japanese? :P

/me would love to be able to speak Japanese.

Pinete(Posted 2006) [#5]
XDDDDD
;)

R0B0T0(Posted 2006) [#6]
you could always use bitmap fonts...

Pinete(Posted 2006) [#7]
the problem I guess is how to stablish the relationship beetween the bitmap and the unicode char because blitz editor doesn't support this kind of chars...
isn't it?

regards,

John Pickford(Posted 2006) [#8]
I haven't done it with a Blitz project but I've done it on SNES and other formats.

It's just a matter of bitmap fonts and loads of tedious tables. A game aimed at a younger audience can get away with kana fonts but if you need kanji then its either a stupidly massive number of characters or a custom set for the text you need. We've always gone for the latter option. Working closely with a Japanese translator of course.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#9]
I've written a number of games that required Japanese display. And as John says if you only need Kana for kids games it's pretty simple, I've written a Romaji to Kana convertor that works in all versions of Blitz. I just type in Japanese using english characters and it's all good to go straight away.

But Kanji unfortunately, it's just a matter of making a list of what you symbols you need and then boshing them into a big table of randomly positioned characters. Really quite tedious unfortunately and this is required for every font type you want. This makes it extremely tedious to read through having boshed kanji lookups in the middle of already confusing looking text strings. I still don't know what the best approach is but for me this takes up the least amount of memory.

I REALLY look forward to the day when I can just just use Unicode fonts in Blitz. :) That would be bliss.

@rtur(Posted 2006) [#10]
Pinete
>the problem I guess is how to stablish the relationship >beetween the bitmap and the unicode char because blitz >editor doesn't support this kind of chars...
>isn't it?

Yes

John Pickford
ENAY

Thanks.

> REALLY look forward to the day when I can just just use Unicode fonts in Blitz

Me too:)