3d tiles

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3d tiles

Farflame(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm starting work on a new project and am intending to use 3d 'tiles' to build up a map. I know this isn't the conventional way of doing 3d, but it's required for my game. Basically, a 2d map needs to be projected in 3d.

What I need is a set of 3d tiles, all of the same size, each showing a different terrain type. E.g one would be a mountain (or set of mountains), one would be a forest, another a small town etc. I'm not concerned about them joining together properly, so long as they look like what they're supposed to represent.

Since I have no 3d skills of my own, does anyone know of any existing tiles of this type, or know how I could order some?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
In the graphics showvcase there's a release of free textures, containing conventional 2d tiles. I'd suggest to get some 2d tiles like them, then create a height map for each one of them. Then load the heightmaps as terrains and apply the tile textures to them. Straigt forward and may look pretty good. Tho, if one tile texture has eg. 256*256 pixels, the terrain should be smaller, so you should scale the heightmaps down in Photoshop, Gimp or whatever graphics editor you're using.