Midi Files...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Midi Files...

DroolBucket(Posted 2006) [#1]
Alright, I want to use some midi files I found off the internet for my game I'm making (is that leagal?) . I know Midi files can be a pain in the butt. I dont really wanna pay 30$ for a converter into mp3 or wav.

backroundmusic2 = PlayMusic ( file$ + "themusic.mid" )
If backroundmusic2 = 0 Then
RuntimeError "music didnt load"
EndIf

(Sorry i know know how to get those pretty blue boxes around the code)

The music never loads. Does anyone know where to get a free midi converter or possibly how to get blitz to load the music?

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#2]
Your syntax is correct, so the problem must lie elsewhere, such as incorrect file path, file name, or corrupt file.

Apparantly you haven't checked out:
http://www.mp3recorder.biz/

DroolBucket(Posted 2006) [#3]
is playing a midi file a new type of thing that i would need to update b3d for? i'd bet $100 that the file path/name is right becuase i've checked it a trillion times. The file isnt corrupt becuase i can play it in Windows media player.

i have checked out many midi to mp3/wav converter but they all cost money.

money i dont have :(

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#4]
mp3recorder is a free trial! I've used it to convert my own .midi files.

Move 'themusic.mid' to the same folder as your blitz executable. Then try your code (obviously without the "file$+" part) and see what results you get.

Midi files are not a pain in the butt.

I want to use some midi files I found off the internet for my game I'm making (is that leagal?) .
Usually, NO. Read my Copyright FAQ in my signature for more info.

(Sorry i know know how to get those pretty blue boxes around the code)
You could read [ faq 2 ]: What are the forum codes?

DroolBucket(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well im thinking that its actully blitz itslef that's got the problem. I've tried like 8 different midi files and none of them ever work. I still cant figure why they won't play. I've tried making the code into a exe, debug on, debug off, and everything in between.

It just doesnt work.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#6]
Send me a .midi file and I will try it.

Blitz is fine. Midi files work fine for me.

DroolBucket(Posted 2006) [#7]
Ok I sent 2 mid files to your email, check it out when you get a chance.

I have looked in the forum achives and it seems im not the only one who has had this problem

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#8]
Works fine for me.

Note that I have version 1.87 of Blitz3D.

DroolBucket(Posted 2006) [#9]
Well i have Version 1.91 and it seems never to work. I suppose the question why will remain un-answered for a while, unless somebody else can give a reason why.

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#10]
Do you have any trouble playing other kinds of files (.wav, .mp3, .ogg)?

DroolBucket(Posted 2006) [#11]
no i only have problems with mid files