Interest in a new GUI?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Interest in a new GUI?

kochOn(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi all,

I m creating a GUI for my own needs and I plan to realise it at a low cost (around $6). I know there are already many GUI that you can use freely, but I think some of those lacks in some points (ex : Gadgets overrun when the window is resized). I can't say that mine will be the best, but i am very finicky. My GUI Windows aren t as beautiful as others but they are relatively customizable(Different colors for each window and gadget including gradient effects).

What I want to know is if it will have interest from some of you. BlitzMax is growing every day, and I plan myself to join its community. So may I have some chances with this blitz3d project?

Thanks for reply, köchOn

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
Personally I hate to learn GUI usage, so I tend to use the same GUI over a long time, even if it's not perfect.

Currently I am using XlnT II that I used to hack that much that I almost have to name it XlnT III or something.

Well you can try it, but you shouldn't be disappointe if you won't make millions. If you really plan to make money, you'd better search for a gap in the market, something everybody wants and nobody has.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2006) [#3]
I never found a simple game-friendly UI. The UI's seem to be WIMP based, but if you just want big buttons without windows and gadgets, there's not many (any?)to choose from. A really classy, efficient, simple to learn and easy to implement game orientated interface would be nice. And what happened to the idea someone had of a 3D based GUI?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#4]
3D based GUI:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=10

game friendly UI (also 3D):
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=27

GUI that has been used to make whole games (also 3D):
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=89

:)

Barliesque(Posted 2006) [#5]
None of these GUI's listed is perfect by any means. But they each have their strengths. There are certainly a *lot* of GUI libraries out there. For the most part, there are a few that function very well, and there are some that look very slick. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a GUI that fits into both categories. The functionality most commonly missing is the Tree View gadget--although that is in F-UI (listed above) and Blitz-UI. But neither has the beautiful look of Filax's iGlass for BlitzMAX or a couple of others for B3D. Free-form text entry boxes are also a typical area of weak functionality. The problem is that there probably isn't really a lot of money to be made in this area, so many GUIs out there are *mostly* complete, but no longer being updated.

...a good graphical editor is essential, by the way, to make GUI design easy. Blitz-UI is pretty good--though not perfect--in that department.

So, if earning a fortune is not your primary objective, and you're finicky enough to create a great GUI system that's functionally strong and is fully skinnable by anybody who'se strong on graphic design... then I say GO FOR IT!