AA artefacts

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/AA artefacts

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've just tried AA on the graphics card and found a couple of errors on texture edges. In the case of my pointer it was very clear the AA was working on a tiled texture and so added spots in the corners. This was fixed using texture flags 16 and 32 to disable wraparound. Now I've got a problem with text boxes. I use a quad with white ground and with AA, there's a greyish border along the top and left edges, plus the quad is offset down and right 1 pixel, or perhaps a fraction of a pixel. I'm using the Community Code Archives Pixie example for creating pixel perfect sprites. Could the AA be offsetting this somehow, shifting the sprite a half pixel down right? Any ideas of a fix?

WolRon(Posted 2006) [#2]
AA=Anti Aliasing

Barliesque(Posted 2006) [#3]
Maybe mipmapping is the cause...?

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2006) [#4]
Sorry if people thought I was talking about anti-aircraft fire!

The border I reported was an alpha blend of the quad and the colour underneath. In actuality the only problem is that the quad is offset by some half a pixel. It's easy enough to work round, but unexplainable behaviour and this may impact other people's code too. If you haven't done so, make sure you run your program with AA turned on on the GPU settings to be sure everything aligns nicely.

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#5]
You're lucky if you've got AA working at all.
I've yet to see it work on any current graphics card I've tried it on.
(Having said that, it did work on my old graphics card, but switching it off had no effect - it was 'stuck' on. I did post about this.)
I wouldn't assume that anyone is actually seeing your AA - it's obviously very graphics card/driver dependant.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2006) [#6]
I haven't used the Blitz AA. I went into Desktop > Properties > Settings and turned AA as a graphics card setting from 'application controlled' to forced various types. This is something anyone can do, though I imagine it's rare. Many games out there support AA as an option and if it doesn't I guess most people would just ignore it. But it's one of those annoying variations that may have impact games and needs to be considered.

Sir Gak(Posted 2006) [#7]
I thought AA was a battery-size. :)