Shield effects

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Shield effects

fishy(Posted 2006) [#1]
i was looking for some info on makes shield impact effects? thinking something like Spherical reflection map but instead of facing the camera been able to make it face the direction from which the shield was hit? does anyone have and code or examples of something like this?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
no code, but some ideas. First get the UVs of the impact, probably try to use the PickedUV as seen in the code archives. Then use copyrect to place a small shockwave texture on the bigger main shield hull texture. Use this in blendmode 3 (additive), plus some kind of animated plasma texture on an additional texture layer.

The small shockwave texture may be a sequence of frames, animated and fading to black.

However, using copyrect may be pretty slow, even when you use the texture flag 256 to make texture access faster.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
You could create a hemisphere (half a sphere) mesh in a modeller, with the origin at the 'apex'. Half a geosphere would be best. Model it so that 'bottom' is pointing down the positive Z axis.

Then, find the point where the weapon hits the shield and place a copy of the hemisphere there, and point it at the target. You can texture the hemisphere with a suitable animated texture, or something.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#4]
nice idea, that would be much faster than mine.

fishy(Posted 2006) [#5]
big10p thats a good idea a what i'll do if i can't get the other way working, the only reason i didn't want to do it that way was to be able to have surface type shields, like a shield that is made from the ship mesh just scaled up slightly. so i might give the pickedUV a go, thanks for the ideas.