Full Blitz3d Game open source release?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Full Blitz3d Game open source release?

Rambus(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hey,
I have a bit of a proposition for the blitz3d community. A little under a year ago I stopped development of a Bomberman clone geared towards network game play. The game is fully functional. It is packed full of features, like:
-Game and editor fully coded in blitz3d
-A game, level editor. (Using the FUI gui)
-TileSet based maps (6 tilesets to choose from!)
-Fast UDP network play
-Dedicated and Non Dedicated server mode.
-Master server using modified Gnet code (called, GLS- global listing server)
-Tons of game media, Player models, map pieces etc.
-Original console library, for easy implementation.
-Command line parsing code
-Play splash video system
-Registry editing code
-Ini editing code.
-Professional music/SFX made specifically for the game.
-Compiled help file for game and editor.
-You get the idea, everything you need to learn how to use to create a great game!

There is also, an extremely powerful and effective game launcher included with the following features:
-Coded in ‘Jamagic’
-Query the master server
-Powerful game lobby chat (IRC style remote admin controls among other things)
-Set options/etc for game
-Launch single player/multiplayer or search for lan games.
-More random things…

I think there is only one outside module that can’t be enclosed with a open source version, and that’s the FUI gui library. (It can how ever be purchased for a very reasonable price). This module however, is only required to recompile the level editor.

So here’s the deal, I don’t have time to work on projects that I can’t make money off of and because I used a trademarked name there isn’t a chance I could ever sell this game. I know for a fact the community would love this game released open source, but I want to know if anyone would be interested in continuing development of it as an open source project? I would be willing to go so far as to relinquish full control of its development to an experienced community member who has a drive to finish the project. He would then manage the other users contributing to the project and decide what goes into the official version. Of course the source would remain open for others to learn from and speed up their blitz3d game development.

So, is anyone interested? If there’s a decent response to this thread I will post binary’s to a beta build of the game and start work on fixing up the commenting in the project source and preparing it for distribution!

A few really early screen shots of the game can be found at the following url:
www.NetworkBomberman.com
(Note: Those screen shots are from a early pre-alpha version, the website was never updated. I will gladly give over control of the website to any community member involved in the open source project.)

You can get a hold of me, and the other developers that worked on the project at:
www.g0dsoft.com

*Note, I posted this in blitz3d programming and not the general discussion forum because it’s only relevant to blitz3d programmers.

-Mark

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think that's a great start. The features used to impress me a lot. If I had the time, I'd be glad to adopt this baby.

Osoko(Posted 2006) [#3]
That's great but it seems to be aborted ?

Curtastic(Posted 2006) [#4]
I'll be interested next week but the website www.NetworkBomberman.com seems to be down right now

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#5]
This was 6 months ago....

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
:) hheheheheeee