Maya Models Coordinates

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Maya Models Coordinates

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#1]
I've got an arrow (as in bow/arrow) that I've made in Maya. I exported them through several program, and I want it to move along the Z axis when "fired" ... the problem is, I can't tell heads or tails of X,Y,Z and everything I try that should make sense, produces results that don't. Are there any tricks to making a model "MoveEntity, yadda, yadda, yadda, Z" friendly? Any particular axis need to be pointing up? (I think right now, for some reason, Z is pointing up?) Also, should I export the arrow lying on it's side? Straight up? Thanks!

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#2]
Ummm... don't about Maya but usually Y is up/down/vertical, Z is depth (bit like z-buffer) and X is left/right. You just have to figure out what in Maya is what and when exported what that becomes in Blitz3D.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#3]
If you go through several programs, then what's important is the model's orientation in the last program used. It is common for orientation to change when converting between file formats, and there is no standardization to this; it depends on your exact workflow. You pretty much decide on an art path, and then do a little trial-and-error to figure out specifics like orientation.

Maya uses a right-handed coordinate system with Y pointed up, X right, and Z out of the screen. You do know there is an icon of the axes in every view, right? This is almost the same as Blitz's axes; in Blitz Z points into the screen, for a left-handed coordinate system.

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thank you guys. I think I know part of the problem too, I've got my arrow parented to a joint in the bow (animated, as it notches up, and pulls back) and immediately after I let go of the mouse button, I unparent it, and rotate it in the direction the camera is facing. Looks fine when I do the notch/draw back part, then when it let's go ... the arrow flys in some other direction ... sideways. I'll try to keep that info in mind when I get back home from work, and can try to sort it out. Thanks again.

Tom(Posted 2006) [#5]
Tyler: Check the flights on your arrows, maybe they're bent! :P

How you finding Maya? You're a Lightwave user also right?

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#6]
No, I trained with Maya and a little bit of 3D Studio Max. I can also use milkshape. I've been using CharacterFX for my exportation to Blitz B3D format.

The flights, haha ... they could be experiencing a case of mistaken identity, asuming the role of "arrow head"

Tyler(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yay, I got it :D Turns out that the rotation values weren't messing me up. Resetting the arrow to have it's axis at 0 (after being attached to a parent), then pointing it towards it's destination, then moving along the Z axis did it. Bltiz is so quick with it, you don't even notice all that happening :D Thanks for all your help!