BVM question - Multiply context or remapping?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/BVM question - Multiply context or remapping?

poopla(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm trying to use BVM to let me do more with less(less hard coded stuff that is), and I'm not sure what use is proper with BVM? Should I simply remap my modules to the same context... or have a few contexts? Which is going to be most efficient? I assume the major drawback with more contexts would be memory consumption... if that's the case I would assume using more should be faster? Any help?

[Edit]Maybe I'm being dense and I don't need to worry about it? Do multiple modules "share" a context? Or do you have to one by one go through the modules and map them to the context? I'll be playing with it so I might answer it myself, but some input from someone with more experience would be cool!

thanks.

GW(Posted 2005) [#2]
It depends on what your doing, but BVM is acctually very efficient when dealing with contexts, Both in speed and in memory.

A basic rule of thumb would be, if your reusing a script a lot in the game, create a static context and keep using it. as many as you need for each script. If its a script that is only going to be called once or a few times you can actually use helper function 'BVM_loadandInvoke()' and forget about managing the temporary context. its still very fast.

If you find yourself needing dozens (or more) of contexts simultainiously then its probably a design issue.
But whenever i have these types of questions about whats gonna give the best performance/managability in BVM I do some prototyping and benchmarking with a new project. Most of the time I find that bvm can handle thing very fast that I suspected would be slow.

Sir Gak(Posted 2005) [#3]
What's BVM?

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#4]
Blitz Virtual Machine.

You could try the Search functions.