3D sprites on scrolling 2D backgrounds

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D sprites on scrolling 2D backgrounds

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#1]
I like the idea of creating a 2D game using 3D objects, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

Consider something like a remake of the Bitmap Brothers Xenon 2; A top down vertical scrolling shoot-'em-up with a nebulus starfield background. The player and enemy and scenery can all be 3D objects, fine enough. But how would you handle the background?

Imagine there's a starfield under the action, and you can zoom the camera in and see stars as always single pixels no matter the zoom whizzing past (or space dust, or what those pixels are!). Is something like

Clear Screen
WritePixelFast backbuffer stars
RenderWorld
Flip

going to be fast enough? Especially if you have a huge nebula cloud background that needs a pixel copy of a million pixels per frame? Could single-pixel sprites manage this more effectively? Can single-pixel sprites even be used reliably without shimmering?

All ideas welcome for rendering 2D using 3D.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#2]
Frankly I wouldn't bother, just create a quad put your stars on a texture or textures and move the textures. Have an additional camera for your stars you render your star camera first then render your main camera so no matter what you do with your main camera the star camera will be unaffected.

Oh... and... I did this many years ago... Never finished it hence the backgrounds looking crappy