How fast is Blitz3D`s 2D mode?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How fast is Blitz3D`s 2D mode?

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#1]
Just wanted to ask how Blitz3D 2D mode i.e. using Graphics instead of the Graphics3D command compares to the original Blitz2D and latter BlitzPlus.

Is it essentially the same engine? Has anyone actually tested this?

Jason.

Panno(Posted 2005) [#2]
blitzplus is the fastet imho .
and b2d have a extended2d.dll for moore 2d gfx

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#3]
Is it essentially the same engine? Has anyone actually tested this?

It's the same as B2d, not as BlitzPlus. BlitzPlus is a bit faster on pixel operations, IIRC, but B2D is a bit faster in pure drawing. Since neither handles real time alpha blending, scaling or rotation, I'm not mad keen on any of them.

Matty(Posted 2005) [#4]
I put together, using some code from the code archives that jfk wrote (I think), a simple raycasting method for an 'animated 3d ocean surface' (see the "best water competition thread") . It uses writepixelfast heavily and on my laptop I get about 20-21 frames per second (50 ms a frame) on blitzplus and about 3 frames per second in blitz3d (333 ms a frame). So I'd say blitzplus is much faster for direct pixel stuff.

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hmm, how about pure image performance? Only commands like drawimage and not rect, oval etc... I imagine the different Blitz`s would all be pretty equal in this respect?

Jason.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#6]
All except BMax, which only uses 3d accelerated 2d, yes, I think the performance ought to be pretty much the same.