Best way to create racing tracks

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Best way to create racing tracks

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#1]
Does anyone know what the best way is to create big tracks for a racing game (including, how to get it the right size etc for Blitz3D. In the demo, i had a track in there, but the finished game is going to have huge tracks (hopefully) but obviously, i would like it to run on lower spec machines as well. I would like to avoid pop-up if possible when the player is racing around the track.
I am using 3DS Max, does anyone also know of the best modelling technique to model the tracks.
I would be so very grateful for any help here :)

Thanks

stayne(Posted 2005) [#2]
lofting in max is the best way. best tut i've found is here:

http://home.freeuk.net/jrknight/scgt/guide/tracked.htm

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Cheers markd :D I really appriciate that man :)

Thanks

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#4]
I would like to avoid pop-up if possible when the player is racing around the track.
Probably the best way to avoid that, is to divide your track up into segments at every turn. This should work because you usually won't be able to see any sections that come after the upcoming turn.

so, in other words, only draw the current section, and the next section if necessary. All other sections can probably be hidden (except for maybe the rear view mirror...).

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
personally I would try to write a custom system that is using elemtents that tile seamlessy, kind of like a railway system. I'd use pretty short elements that will be placed automaticly by a special track editor. The engine could then use EntityAutoFade to prevent popping in.

But of course, I am not an expert for racing games with tracks.