Help!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Help!

Idaho Razor(Posted 2005) [#1]
My old Blitz3D games are not working for me, It's Space Invaders 3D and you can download it here: http://sf1000.wazooweb.com/~user962106/razor/SP3D.zip

I created this game last year and it worked perfectly, a year later i get a Memory Access Violation. I understand it's most likely my hardware upgrades. I upgraded from a Geforce 5600 to a Geforce 6800, I upgraded from a Santa Cruz 5.1 sound card to an Audigy 2, i've added another stick of 512mb DDR Corsair (the cool kind with a performance monitor on it) to my system. I'm using the latest nVidia drivers to run the game, i've tested my game on several computers and it has worked fine i just don't see why i'm getting a Memory Access Violation, Any Help please?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
Make sure all your textures are power-of-2 in size.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
Do you get the MAV also in debuging mode, or do you get a diffrent message with it?

Try to locate the error:

Insert an END command right after the start of the program. then run it. When there's no MAV, move the END down in the source, until you get the MAV again. If the MAV occurs when the main loop has been executed one time or more, you need a coutner that will count how many times the main loop was executed.

This is the method I use to locate strange MAVs.

Idaho Razor(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well that's the problem, it's worked before! it's been over a year so i don't have the source code anymore. However it still works on my friends computer etc. etc.

Yes, the textures are power of 2 in size.

It has to be my computer, have you guys tested it? does it work for you?

DH(Posted 2005) [#5]
So, without the source, what do you plan to accomplish?

What would you change if you found the answer was your code and not the hardware without source access?

Not trying to make it pour here, just trying to understand how you plan to A. Troubleshoot a program you can't debug and B. Plan to fix faulty code without the source.

Idaho Razor(Posted 2005) [#6]
it's not faulty code, is what i'm saying. I've tested it on multiple machines, and it works perfectly. This game is about a year old since i released it, and i know it's due to one of my hardware upgrades. It just doesn't work on my machine, i get an MAV. I just don't know what to do about it, or how to fix it on my machine. It's happening on all blitz3d applications, not just mine i found out. (compiled .exe's) i've got the latest nvidia drivers, what else could it be?

DH(Posted 2005) [#7]
start->run "dxdiag"

Run the directx 7 3d tests

Idaho Razor(Posted 2005) [#8]
The tests were successful.

Idaho Razor(Posted 2005) [#9]
I tried out the sample files, those seem to work to.

DH(Posted 2005) [#10]
only suggestion I can give from this point is to create a blitz3d app, or download something from the code archives and get it to MAV. Run it in debug mode and find out where it MAVs.

What recent upgrades do you speak of?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#11]
Yes, the textures are power of 2 in size.
Your particle textures are 24x24. Try changing them to 32x32 and see if that helps.

Idaho Razor(Posted 2005) [#12]
Thank you big10p, that was the problem! i guess my Geforce 6800 is a bit more picky than my older 5600. Thanks again for the help!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
No problem. :) Yes, it seems the 6800 is very picky about texture size, for some reason.