Pivot problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Pivot problem

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have modelled my level in 3DS Max and placed a start point and a dest point(helpers).
When i load this into B3D and set the players position to the start point. No matter what i try, it just won't place it where it should be and as a result, the player object to falls through outside of the scenery.
Can anyone explain why this may be happening?

Thankyou

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#2]
This could be a collision issue.

Remember you need to either use resetentity after you position the player initially or hideentity before you position so that collisions are disabled.

Stevie

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#3]
Also make sure that the player start position does not make the players collision sphere intersect with your levels floor.

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hmm, nope. Deffinitely not a collision problem, i've took all the collision code out so it can't be that. Any other ideas? :)

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#5]
code plz

cash(Posted 2005) [#6]
How are you referencing the pivots you created in the model ?

I had a similar issue with this a long time ago when I figured out everything was referenced to the 0,0,0 point in the 3d package.

I created a level and then created other objects to place separately. I thought I would be clever and create them individually as new models in the "correct" place to the main model.

Then everything went wrong..Entity distance was not referenced to the actual object but to ots 0,0,0 position which was actually nowhere near the object in the 3d app.

Still this may be totally not relevant...

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
"Entity distance was not referenced to the actual object but to ots 0,0,0 position which was actually nowhere near the object in the 3d app."

I get caught out again and again by this when I import a model that I haven't built, and find the the author actually built it at big a offset from 0,0,0.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
Try this: hit the "affect pivot only" button, then "center pivots to objects".

Ash_UK(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'll give the "Center pivots to objects" a try, cheers :D