ODE Question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/ODE Question

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi there!

For a new project I am considering ODE as physics component. I used Tokamak in Wobbles, but I never liked the fact it had a bad friction model. I want my character to behave and act arcadish (fast responds to user input) but with Tokamak, it behaved like a character on ice, after trying a lot of alternatives. I had to use animated bodies for the players, which caused the players not to be included in the whole simulation.
Does ODE has a better friction model? Does anyone has experience with both physics libraries, and what is better with Tokamak compared to ODE, and what would you choose?

Thanks!!!

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#2]
Download the JV-ODE demo. Inside you'll find some nice examples of using friction.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#3]
Ah, the friction demo is only included in the full version at the moment Wayne ;)

I think Shifty Geezer might be able to give some good comparison info on Tok Vs ODE Jeroen. He's done some amazing work with friction in ODE and he's worked with Toka too. Hopefully he'll notice this thread and help give you the low down if he's got time.

It wouldn't be right for me to comment as I'm heavily biased, obviously :P

Filax(Posted 2005) [#4]
Try EasyTOK :)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=143

Mark Judd(Posted 2005) [#5]
I used TOKAMAK for Simsail and had to fudge the forces acting on the vehicles wheels to emulate reasonable friction.

Recently bought JV-ODE from VIP3R and after a couple of weeks playing around with it I would have to say, in my opinion obviously, that ODE is a better option.
The friction, restitution and so on seem much easier to set up and behave more predictably.

I would counter this by saying, as you already know from using TOKAMAK with Wobbles, that any physics package will need 'tweaking' to get it to do what you want, in the way you want it too.

It's just that personally i'm finding ODE much easier to get to grips with (no pun intended).

Mark

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#6]
I chose ODE over Tok for speed and flexibility. I never had problems with Tokamaks physics. I could set materials as Icy or Rubber (low and high friction) and they reacted as such, so the slippy objects slid down an inclined plane whereas the non-slippery ones gripped.

However, I've only worked in simple systems and am seemingly unique in not wanting to use physics for a car simulator! For complex systems I don't know if Tok has problems or not. JV-ODE also has the benefit of some nice features as requested, such as how Restitution is evaluated (max or mean of two objects). The joint system is also very straightforward and effective too. Now I've go tthe hang of ODE, adding rotational forces to objects and throwing some ragdolls around is easy and looks fantastic!