Executables mostly zero bytes?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Executables mostly zero bytes?

Boulderdash(Posted 2005) [#1]
When I compile my project into an executable the file contains large amounts of zero bytes.

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#2]
Blitz executables are just over 1MB. They're only higher than that if you use a file packer to include files within the EXE itself.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yep. Just over 1MB. You can shrink them using UPX as well.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#4]
Does that not increase depending on how much code you have?

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#5]
Of course it will increase... code needs bytes, hehe

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#6]
According to GfK a game with 8,500 lines of code is still only 1.6MB. So the amount of code isn't a huge factor, especially when you add in your media.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2005) [#7]
The ammount of functions tho I believe will. For those are indepentently compiled for use. Like DLLS. I believe. Logicaly.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#8]
My game has reached about 2.6meg. How on earth is Gav managing to create a 4meg file?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#9]
I just did a count.
My app is 53,817 lines of code (probably including comments) and compiles to 3.576 MBs (obviously not including external media).
Just as an example.

puki(Posted 2005) [#10]
Maybe "Gav" is utilising large amounts of data/media in his source - ie, in data statements, etc?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#11]
That doesn't explaine the large amounts of zero bytes though, puki. Plus, there's a limit to the number of data statements you can have.

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#12]
Well, all those zero's will disppear when you ZIP the file up, so wouldn't be a problem when offering them for download over the internet.

Also, there is no limit to the number of Data statements - just A LOT of typing (unless they've been created some other way).

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
Funny, I'm sure someone hit a Data limit some time ago when trying to incorporate media as data items. Oh well.

OJay(Posted 2005) [#14]
Funny, I'm sure someone hit a Data limit some time ago when trying to incorporate media as data items. Oh well.

i think that happens with the original blitz3d ide. there's was a filesize limit for inlcudes, if i remember right. problem got solved by using another ide ;)