TerraEd 2.5 update

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/TerraEd 2.5 update

Filax(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi :) After a long time ...

Tired to wait the bmax engine :) i'm working on the TerraEd
update, i have find an enormous bug ! When you open/close
object window, you lost 10/15 FPS each time .... shame on me !

I have made modifications under GUI to retrieve more FPS
when editing your maps.

for the futur i plan some new modules to increase your map.
but shuuutt ! it's a secret :)

Registered user can download the new version here :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=69

and

http://www.blitz3dfr.com/phpfrench/request.php?24

If you want to see a map with 10,000 objects load the
Demo2.Ted under terraed and tell me how FPS your get.

Note : If your have some ideas, please post here.

Worklog 2.5 :
-------------
-Big bug removed : Each time that you open a window you lost 5/10 FPS ... Shame on me ...
-GUI Modification : Sliders are more speed up.
-GUI Modification : Colormap and Shadowmap window are now on the bottom toolbar
-GUI Modification : Preferences window can now setup the TerraEd screen
-GUI Modification : Several GUI optimization.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#2]
ooh sexy shadows :D

Filax(Posted 2005) [#3]

Fredor(Posted 2005) [#4]
This are really good news...
Thanks for this cool service ...

itīs a really usefull tool...

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#5]
Filax,

I love TerraEd - it has some really quick/powrful features - thanks.

Besides the "collect all media nad the map data into a relative path folder" button...

I would also like to see the ability to load multiple levels - so we can build larger maps with different landscape features using Terraed, then load each one as a separate level.

I would also like to setup multiple water surfaces with option where I can have more than one texture for water, have it scroll at different speeds to indicate depth and have it moving - like a river - inside the terraed editor.

I would also like to load into Terraed any previous version without it locking up on me :(

IPete2.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#6]
Ok i will try to make this

For the compatibility it s great problem for me because
if i add some feature the file format must be changed :/

So i'm thinking to a new level format ... But i'll release
a converter of course !! but if a want add some nice features
under terraed i have not choice ... the format must be change.

I plan a level format without compatibility problem between
versions.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hey Filax..how to download updated version..I purchase TeraEd with source few months ago...

Filax(Posted 2005) [#8]
Check your mail box, or if you have email changed please send
me the new one. I have post this message for this reason :)
because many users register with a temporary email adress, but
when they change of email...

If your email change please send me the new one !

Filax(Posted 2005) [#9]
Not ready yet , it's just the worklog

Worklog 2.5.1 :
---------------
-Big bug removed : Each time that you open a window you lost 5/10 FPS ... Shame on me ...

-GUI Modification : Sliders are more speed up.
-GUI Modification : Colormap and Shadowmap window are now on the bottom toolbar.
-GUI Modification : Preferences window can now setup the TerraEd screen.
-GUI Modification : Several GUI optimization.

-Function added : You can assign file type .TED with TerraEd now :)
-Function added : A checkbox 'Auto-Refresh' added in the 'SHADOW OPTIONS' frame, move, rotate, scale objets is now more speed up.

-Function changed : Colormap generation limit size is out, you can now generate map >512 pixels
-Function changed : Lightmap generation limit size is out, you can now generate map >512 pixels
-Function changed : Terrain generation limit size is out, you can now using heightmap >512 pixels

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#10]
..gooooooddd...I like the '-Function changed : Terrain generation limit size is out, you can now using heightmap >512 pixels' thats really cool

Filax(Posted 2005) [#11]
:)

I have made some tests in 1024 => 4096 it work !

Zmatrix(Posted 2005) [#12]
Should Check my mail more often!
Nice update Filax :)

thank ya!

Zmatrix

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
..gooooooodd...I cant wait to put my hands on to new updates...but it means that guys whos purchased source version + BCF3.0 will receive also improoved BCF3.0 GUI? I mean, many of updates is related to GUI, and it means on to BCF3.0?

Filax(Posted 2005) [#14]
Of course ! Just be patient :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#15]
..mmmm...yuuuummmyyyyy...I really cant wait..now, this is serious stuff...

Topknot(Posted 2005) [#16]
Hey all, and mainly filax:

If I purchased this tool, and wanted it to assist in making some terrain objects, what format does the finished map come out as..?

I truly need mesh type objects and not Blitz Terrain items, so that I can incorporate it into my ODE projects.

Thanks

Topknot ;)

P.S. Of course tried the demo and after a few MAV's actually got to play for 15 mintues with it, but of course no export to see and test format.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#17]
Finished map is saved as a TED file format, and you can play it trough 'player' wich is included in package with source of course, so you can modify everything as you want..nice stuff..I already add lens flare, cube water, particle toolbox in my version of TerraED..Problem was really GUI (getting slow after some time) and limited terrain size...but as I can see now, it will be fixed and I'm really excited to get this new stuff in to my hands..

Topknot(Posted 2005) [#18]
So a TED format,
That is like a Blitz Terrain or a Exported Clusterized Mesh..? Ok how about this, this TED object, do you load it like LoadAnimMesh..? or do you have to use TED functions of something?

Thanks

Topknot ;)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#19]
TED is basicaly just a file wich containing all data about position, scale, rotation, and everything you do, for every loaded mesh in to your TerraED scene..with 'player' source is provided all necessary functions for loading content created in TerraED...

Filax(Posted 2005) [#20]
Change :
--------
-Colormap generator is 2x more speed up.
-Plan to build a texture mixer.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#21]
No - not a mesh - it uses Blitz terrain to generate the landscape, which means you have to be aware of some issues.

TED includes a ref to the height map which you make - it is this which makes the terrain - there is no mesh output.

Some things which require meshes to act upon, such as Tokamak and possibly ODE (earlier versions) need a mesh - TerraEd does not produce a mesh.

This can mean that some collision detection is not easily supported - it is still doable - just not as easy imho.

BTW I love TerraEd and the way Filax responds to his customers it makes for an excellent purchase.

IPete2.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#22]
Happy to see an happy customer :)

Topknot(Posted 2005) [#23]
Well fartknockers,

I truly rather deal with an outputted mesh, at least when involving work wirh ODE. Maybe in the future he will add a b3d or such export format, when that happens then he has my money ;)

Thanks for the reply's, on to look for another editor :(

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#24]
Maybe rather than exporting the whole terrain as a mesh, it would be a better option to export a simplified mesh of the terrain (in addition to using the Blitz terrain)--ie, a mesh without textures or vertex colors, and a reduced number of vertices / polygons --ideal for use in a physics engine.

There's a *very* nice bit of code for polygon reduction available here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1285

So maybe it would be nice if there were a slider to let the user determine what percent of vertices should be removed from the simplified mesh. ...just need some way of checking the accuracy of the simplified mesh, so you don't create big areas where a character sinks into the ground, or walks in mid air... *too* much, that is.

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#25]
...actually, a simpler approach would be to ammend that code to allow the slider to control an accuracy tolerance level, and then just simplify away. I've been looking over the way the code works, and that should be quite an easy modification.

For physics purposes, it would be VERY handy to have this feature avalable for any of the objects in the terrain as well. So a nicely modeled obstacle on the terrain would be fed to the physics engine as a simplified mesh.

weewillie(Posted 2005) [#26]
I get a problem with TerraEd when trying to doubleclick folders to open them in terrain mode or other modes, nothing i do with the mouse lets me open the folder, i worked around it by placing all of the required files in the TerraEd root folder so as not to require folder navigation, dont know if its the app, the BCF3 of if its the fps being too low.... any ideas anyone?

Filax(Posted 2005) [#27]
I think that an fps problem !

But clarify :

You can load your TED files ? or not ?

Or

When you load your TED file you see nothing on the screen ?

Maybe a solution :

Assign TED file to TerraED under windows filetype and
dbl click on the TED file to open it with TerraED.

Cheers

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#28]
Low framerate does make it awkward to double-click. You may be able to get it to work by doucle-clicking very slowly. I've discovered that I get a much better framerate with a larger resolution, and windowed. Fullscreen mode gives me a very low frame rate. My best results are with 1280x1024 Windowed.

BCF3 mixes 2D techniques over a 3D viewport, which causes things to run quite slowly. Filax, it might not be as big a task as you'd think to adapt your GUI to use 3D quads. The results should be substantially faster. Have you looked into this at all?

Filax(Posted 2005) [#29]
No i have not made test with 3D but maybe using another
gui like blitzUI ? i don't know for the moment.

weewillie(Posted 2005) [#30]
cheers guys, it probably is an FPS prob at my end, getting a new pc setup next week, and btw, some type of convertor from the .ted format to .x,.3ds or .b3d would be extremely useful, would this be a major project to undertake?

anyway, mega bit (if you'll excuse the pun) of software, i love it.......

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#31]
..I already convert whole TeraED in to BliztUI :)) working fast and furious :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#32]
??? Cool !

I think recode Terraed with BlitzUI too.

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#33]
Maybe Naughty Alien can give the converted source to Filax and then I can have a compiled version??? ...mmmaybe?

Filax(Posted 2005) [#34]
I'm working with blitzUI :) i'm trying to understand message
concept :) a put some fuc... gadget under a TAB :)

But Blitz UI is an excellent and quick GUI :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#35]
Let's go :)

I'm starting new gui building using the 3D GUI F-ui

It's a very good GUI a little bit less simple than BCF :)
but more speed up :)

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#36]
Excellent! Both Blitz UI and F-UI have a TreeView, which would be excellent for the Hierarchy panel. You could automatically group all trees together, rocks, plants, etc. or however else makes sense for your project... ;)

...I'll miss the colorful splendor of BCF, though. But then, one day, I'm sure TerraEd will use iGlass... lovely!

Filax(Posted 2005) [#37]
Of course ! All registered TerraEd user will have this
version for free !

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#38]
Yahoooooo! :D

Filax(Posted 2005) [#39]
Note : Don't panic if you have no news from me :)But i recode
all TerraEd sources and this task take many time :)

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#40]
Naturellement! :)

...and will you be adding support for EasyTOK? Could be very nice-- just load your models with EasyTOK tags, and then run a simulation right in TerraEd. Nice way to market EasyTOK as well. ;)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#41]
Of course ! the new terraed 3 will be compatible with EasyTOK :) (I hope ! :) )

maximo(Posted 2005) [#42]
>Of course ! All registered TerraEd user will have this
version for free !

good, don't forget to send me email when its out ;)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#43]
No problem :)

Because terraed key registration changed

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#44]
Any news on TerraEd, getting a .b3d export? :o)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#45]
Yes because Terraed 3 use mesh terrain (enjoy physique !)
and of course an export in B3D format (if i find any about
B3D save doc...) and i plan many many other stuff and
a new more functional GUI.

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#46]
Sounds great! :)

Are you thinking of using Pete Rigz' Terrain engine? It does look extremely good, doesn't it?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53717
http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=2762&log=347

...and here's code to save a B3D:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=866

:)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#47]
Yes i have look the excellent Pete Rigz Terrain engine !
great peace of code ! :) sure :)

But I cannot sale a terraed which contains a landscape system
system which is not mine! :)

Many thanks for links !

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#48]
Yes, I was wondering about that. You should try contacting him. Maybe there is a happy situation of mutual support that is possible. TerraEd has plenty of its own nice features (and more to come!) so it would be very good for everybody to bring these two systems together.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#49]
Very cool stuff filax! Can't wait to check it out :D

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#50]
A feature i've always looked for in a terrain program, is one that creates round terrains. Obviously, they can't be round, as there made from polgons, but, every single terrain blitz program i've seen, makes square, or rectangle terrains. I'm doing floating islands, so, it would be nice to have a round island :D

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#51]
Actually, rather than specifically round terrains, what would be exceptionally useful would be the ability to create holes in the terrain-- maybe with some kind of simple map image to tell which polygons not to build. If you want a round terrain, then you'd use a round map, naturally, but what's more interesting, I think, is the ability to create a hole that could then be turned into the entrance to a cave.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#52]
Thats a very good idea man :D

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#53]
:D

Filax, if you like, you could include my lens flare system in TerraEd.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1107

It would be nice to be able to position and scale a sprite for the sun (or an invisible quad, if you're happy to simply use the sun image in your skybox) within TerraEd, and maybe even adjust the settings. Naturally, this also means lightmapping the landscape using that position for the sun.

I saw screenshots of a modified version of TerraEd that included a flare system. I'm almost positive it's mine---which is nice. :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#54]
The problem with len flare is :

All objets must be in entitypickmode for flare

It is a good stuf to improve TerraEd FPS ?

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#55]
Well, only objects that can FULLY block the sun have to be in pick mode... Trees and plants don't need to be in pick mode. My flare system doesn't just hide the sun when it's behind something, it checks to see what color objects are partially obscuring it---so that the lens flare can be colorized by stained glass, for instance. Individual leaves of trees then have a nice effect on the lens flare. Have a look at the demo.

There is still a small hit to FPS, but not bad--that will vary of course depending on the project, though. As with all things it should be optional.

So the landscape does need to be in pick mode--but then it's probably already in pick mode to let you walk on top of it. Solid objects like boulders and architecture do need to be in pick mode. Your autofade system is already figuring out which objects are close enough to the camera to be seen, so once an object starts fading away, it can be removed from the list of pickable objects.

Have a look at my demo. :)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#56]
Ok :)

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#57]
Filax, whats the chances of implementing:

Actually, rather than specifically round terrains, what would be exceptionally useful would be the ability to create holes in the terrain-- maybe with some kind of simple map image to tell which polygons not to build. If you want a round terrain, then you'd use a round map, naturally, but what's more interesting, I think, is the ability to create a hole that could then be turned into the entrance to a cave.

Would make it a killer app!

Filax(Posted 2005) [#58]
You want create hole on terrain ?

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#59]
Yes. The idea is that if you want to have a cave in your map, you make a hole--let's say, in the side of a mountain. Then place a mesh for a cave inside the hole. Then add some rocks or something to cover the seam between the landscape and the cave.

Ross C want s to make a round terrain, which can be done in the same way--by cutting away the polygons around the corners of the standard square terrain shape. Since many landscapes, like an island, will naturally be round in shape anyway, it's a bit of a waste creating those polygons at the corners. Sometimes you can see things like that, even though they're underwater--which looks a little bit cheap.

Maybe TerraFormat could allow you to use a brush to 'paint' a hole in the landscape, and then save that info as a small data file. I think that would make more sense than using an image file, as I suggested at first. ...or just use a black and white bitmap for the data file.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#60]
Hum hum ! not very easy to do ! :)

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#61]
You might want to set aside the idea until you've written your mesh-based terrain system.

What part of it sounds difficult? Painting holes in TerraFormat? ...or building a landscape with holes?

Filax(Posted 2005) [#62]
For the next version TerraFormat an dTerraEd will be the same software.

But for the moment i'm taking my head on the GUI ....

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#63]
Makes sense. :)

Riddle(Posted 2006) [#64]
*EDIT*

NVM ... I downloaded the demo and just put my terraed key in the folder and it worked.

Good work Filax. By far TerraEd is the best world creation tool I've used. The quality is amazing.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#65]
Wait for "TerraEd Pro" :) i kick ass app :)

Murphy(Posted 2006) [#66]
u kick the ass of an app O.o?
well.... okay.
p.s. don't forget my offer, still waitin for terraed pro ;)