Another MipMap question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Another MipMap question

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've read in the past simple ways to turn off mipmapping on textures without using a DLL. It involved ClearTextureFilters but I can't seem to get it to work.

Does my memory resemble that of a Goldfish or is there a way?

Oh and BTW how does the Blitz mipmapping work ... does it compare texel --> pixel size and resort to the mipmapped version if texel < pixel?

Cheers
Stevie

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think that is the way it works. ClearTextureFilters() will clear all the flags that are used when loading a texture. Unless you use the flag to load a texture, it shouldn't have mapmapping enabled on it. Have you got any code?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
I think (although, haven't tried) the ClearTextureFilters method should work, as flag 8 is set as standard, I believe. However, you can't easily turn off the texture blurring - are you confusing the two, by any chance?

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#4]
@ Big 10p ... I'm not sure .. maybe it is just the blurring .. I guess I'm not using a very high reso texture. Anyway, a couple of screenies to show what I'm on about ... It's the shadows I'm interested in .. ignore the untextured placeholder stuff ;)

@ Ross C The cleartexturefilters ... should this be done immediately after you load any textures? The texture I'm using is made on the fly with only 16+32+256 flags set? In which case am I already doing all I can to improve this?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#5]
ClearTextureFilters should be used before you load any textures. Your problem looks like texture blurring, which isn't fixable from blitz. There is a .dll kicking about though. I think Tom did something with it.

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yeah - I saw that .. not sure how much it would help though? Anywho ... cheers Ross.