Mipmaps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Mipmaps

Dock(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is it possible to create your own mipmaps in Blitz3D?

In other engines, it's possible to supply a texture that has several different mipmaps of a texture already (they're all placed side by side in order of size). This improves the quality of mipmaps dramatically.

So, what are my options in terms of controller mipmaps in Blitz3D? Is there anything that can be done with a DLL, such as the anistropic filtering DLL that Tom wrote?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
For simple mipmapping, you could disable blitz's mipmapping, and do a distance check on entities, and check there texture detail accordingly. Won't work for large entities really...

Dock(Posted 2005) [#3]
Swapping textures manually would create some sort of a 'snap' between two values though, as opposed to the blend that mipmapping allows. Not really the solution.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#4]
There is a superb ANISOTROPIC DX7 DLL floating around here somewhere - I had it at home and the end results for StuntCarRacing were excellent, but yesterday I deleted the .decls by accident and now I can't find the ZIP file.

Anyone know where it is? I had a new version re-written by the author to work with WinXP, and the DLL was called VARDX7.DLL and VARDX7.decls I believe.

Note that I do not mean the older version which is called DX7TEST.DLL and DX7TEST.decls.

Can the author please contact me again? I can't remember who it was. Might have been Cygnus?

Dock(Posted 2005) [#5]
Is the DLL by Tom also?