Container Classes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Container Classes

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've polished up the container classes I use to manage objects and have written up a tutorial on how to use them.

Here's the link!

Any suggestions on how I can make my API, code, or tutorial simpler?

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#2]
Maybe you need a more comprehensive intro to what container classes are and/or why they are useful. I'm wondering what the advantage here is over using Blitz's types.

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks for the feedback. I've rewritten the Overview section and hope things are clearer. Does it make sense now and answer what you were wondering about?

EDIT: Note that they're not a replacement for Blitz's types.

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#4]
To really understand I'll have to go through the examples later, but already the rewrite helps a lot. Now I have a better understanding of what they are, although I still don't see the point.

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'm hoping to get the overview articulate enough to let people know why they want to keep reading - without relying on having people grok anything more than very simple example code. I've revised the overview again, adding information on the limitations of the basic object organization strategies. I hope it's not too bloated now.

I'm planning on adding a few example scenarios to explain when container classes would be useful.

octothorpe(Posted 2005) [#6]
*** REVISED OVERVIEW AGAIN ***

Any feedback or interest in these? I use them all the time, after growing fond of the C++ STL equivalents. If no one has interest, I might as well stop updating the code archive entries.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'm quite interested in these, the linked list class looks very useful and the project i'm working might also make use of hash tables too...

Very handy stuff - great contribution to the community!

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#8]
It certainly can't hurt to have some bullet-proof STL-like code ready to drop into Blitz... keep up the good work. I'm sure I will use this at some point...

Now if you will excuse me I have some big rocks to move and I am thinking of chipping four of them into round shapes and putting them at each corner to see if it helps move things more easily ;-)