WinBlitz3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/WinBlitz3D?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi. Can anyone who's had serious involvement with WinBlitz3D tell me what's the status these days.

I downloaded it sometime ago but only now have time to play with it.

Are there any outstanding/unsolved problems?

Mr Picklesworth, is your app/editor really using WinBlitz3D? It looks amazing.
For those who want to produce a 'professional-looking' editor it appears the way to go.

All opinions/experiences welcomed before I dive in.
Cheers

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#2]
Mr Pick, what happened? I just downloaded APE and I can see that you are using BlitzUi.

Is the new version going to use WinBlitz3D?

Kev(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hi John

WinBlitz3D is still in development, although ive done little with it over the last couple of months. mixed 3D/GUI is still far of to be honest. although it is possable with tweeking of WinBlitz3D's include file. overall the GUI side is well on its way to being stable.

I can confirm that the new version's GUI of Mr Picklesworth ape is coded using modifyed WinBlitz3D's include's

kev

Danny(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'm using WinBlitz3D as well because I need a complex windows-based interface with all the gadgets and bits and bops.

But it did cost me several weeks to get my head around things to be able to fix and patch numerous problems and add additional features myself. Once you've got them working though, they work pretty sweet. And I haven't got everything I want yet - right now I'm building my own scroll-bars for example ;)

It depends on how much you need of course, so if you're looking for a quick and easy way out I'd look for something else, unless you can invest the time to 'finish it yourself' sort of thing...

hope this helps,
Danny

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
Righto, Kev. Thanks for replying.

It looks to me as if a fair knowledge of the Windows Api is needed to get the best from it - mind you it _is_ the WinApi, isnt it!

I remember a thread where you said you were hoping to implement themes. Did you do it?

One final thought - this is such an awesome piece of work.
When you need something like this, you really need it (stop sniggering there at the back - if you want a succesful editor, users perceive the Windows look as 'friendly', no matter what you yourself prefer).

So I'm thinking - this work really needs a forum all of its own for users to compare notes and swap examples.
If I do get my own forum set up would you like me to host that, or do you have plans yourself in that direction?

Kev(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hi John.

WinBlitz3D does offer control over most standard gadgets/menus, Because the way winblitz3d's been coded anyone that has worked coding the win api will be-able to add what they require. also i did not get round to adding themes but this could be done.

I choose to make WinBlitz3D OpenSource for this purpose so if you have room to host a forum then that would ideal for users that have made modifcation's to post there version's.

let me know where the forum would be hosted

kev

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
Ok, thanks Kev. My forum's not yet set up.

But when I do I'll create a WinBlitz3D section, and let you know.

I'd love it if someone created an RSC type editor which then generated the necessary Blitz code.
Come to think of it, isn't RSC a standard text file type anyway?
Damn, wish I had the time!

Kev(Posted 2005) [#8]
That would be great when you setup your forum if you can let me know.

kev

nrasool(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi there,

I have a spare website which i am not using at all, I can easily host and set up a forum, but what sections of the forum would you like?

I was thinking of the following:
Winblitz3d Work In Progress
Winblitz3d WorkArounds
Windows API Questions

[Edit out]

Kind Regards

Nadeem Rasool

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#10]
nrasool - nice! - job done. Thanks for doing this.
My problem was lack of time - it would have been quite a while before I could do this, so thanks for taking it over.

Kev, talk to this guy. This will be brilliant for WinBlitz3D, and Blitz users.
Try to get Mr Picklesworth involved - I think he's furthest along in using WinBlitz3D.

nrasool(Posted 2005) [#11]
Hey John, Not a problem, I was hoping you be okay about it. I have added a new section called "WinBlitz3D Examples", this is for people to post examples of what you can do with WinBlitz3d. I have attached what Kev has written in a previous thread which is how to embed the blitz runtime within the application. Also i have added "Your Projects", so people can tell other users what they are programming using the plugin?

I will try to contact Mr Picklesworth as well. Hopefully this will lead into people updating WinBlitz3D :)

Kind Regards

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#12]
I'm right here. I'll post something once it's all sorted :)
Thanks for the positive comments.

nrasool(Posted 2005) [#13]
Thanks Mr. Picklesworth. I hope this gets off to a great start.

Kind Regards

Kev(Posted 2005) [#14]
nrasool, Great News on hosting the Winblitz3D forum. I do some cleaning up of the latest version and a .dll for direct runtime window gadgets and post them asap. i will post more info as and when i have it over on the forum.

alls that is needed now is some cool example created using winblitz3d.

anyone intested in writing some? ive little time on my hands at the moment.

Kev

DH(Posted 2005) [#15]
So, this is a Win API GUI????

With Blitz3d????

This is just awsome! Please complete this and charge for it!

nrasool(Posted 2005) [#16]
Hey Kev,

alls that is needed now is some cool example created using winblitz3d.

anyone intested in writing some? ive little time on my hands at the moment.

What examples are you looking for, i can code some small examples and put them on the Winblitz3d Example forum. Do you have a list on which examples are needed. So far in the plugin example, you don't have a blitz runtime embed example, so posted that on the forum.

@Dark Half
Yes using this free plugin, you can using Windows API. It is fully functional, and the forum is setup so people can work on completing the plugin. Think of it as an opensource project :)

Kind Regards

Pedro(Posted 2005) [#17]
nrasool,

i register to the forum 2 days ago and I am not able to connect to the forum. Could you check what happen ?

http://www.nadcom.co.uk/winblitz3d/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5

nrasool(Posted 2005) [#18]
@Philippe C

I have double checked, can you now post to the forum. I have emailed you twice.

Kind Regards

Pedro(Posted 2005) [#19]
I don't receive your emails.

And i have always the message : "You have specified an incorrect or inactive username, or an invalid password."

with : www.nadcom.co.uk/winblitz3d/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5

:(